Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help. I bought a 2008 G6 3.5L four months ago. I noticed a pinkish-red coolant leaking from the front of the car on the passenger side. I took it to a trusted shop and they "removed and replaced crossover housing to replace gaskets." It cost $350. A few weeks later I noticed that the car is still leaking. Has anyone had this problem?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
The crossover gasket IS the most likely culprit. Have you noticed any overheating issues?
You can rent a pressure tester from autozone, pressurize the system while the engine is cold, and see if you can spot it coming out.

You can also pick up dye and a UV light kit for coolant, put it in, drive a bit, then follow the trail back to the source with the light.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No overheating issues, no check engine lights. I'm getting an oil change early this week and I am planning on the mechanic taking a look at it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The original crossover gasket is very susceptible to leaks. There is an updated design to fix this common defect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the info guys. But the thing that puzzles me is that I noticed the leak in January and had it "fixed" but it is still leaking. Odd

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: Recently got my oil change and told the mechanic that I noticed a leak and a slight puddle of reddish-pink liquid. He checked all the coolant levels and said the anti-freeze was fine. The crossover gasket has been replaced. It only leaks after I remote start it and let it run for 5 minutes or so

·
Registered
28 Posts
The original crossover gasket is very susceptible to leaks. There is an updated design to fix this common defect.
HI, can you elaborate on the upgraded fix for the coolant crossover gaskets. I had mine replaced by the dealer at around 55000 mi. and now at 83000 they appear to be leaking again. Any help with this would be appreciated

·
ASE expert
75 Posts
Not only have been fixing cars since the early 90's but also worked for a radiator shop I have seen this and know why first hand. The Intake gaskets leak. This is because #1 Dex-cool has been proven in a court case to eat gaskets after about 50,000 miles. It gets acidic and eats away at those specifically as they get hot, are thick plastic and a poor design. #2 Dex-cool also breaks down to turn into a "sandy" type of sludge which blocks the radiator, heater core, lines ect. You have to not only replace the gaskets but blow out the entire cooling system with water and compressed air. I recommend replacing the coolant with good old green ethyl glycol anti-freeze. It has been around for 100 years with no issues and anyone who says it will harm your car is full of you know what and has little experience working on cooling systems day in and out. Automotive manufactures made this proprietary coolant to make you have to buy from them or a company to buy patent rights or lease them to produce this coolant. It is a scam in the worst way. They (GM) have known this for years and it effects ALL GM front wheel drive cars with Buick V6. Yes your Pontiac has a Chevy engine redesigned off the good old Buick V6. This is the GM 3.1L, the 3.3L, the 3.5L, some 3.8L, two different designs, and the 3.9l. This problem also plagues GM trucks with the Vortec 4.3L. The other Buick 3.8L had the worst design of having 2 plastic heater tubes that actually go thru the alternator bracket hidden underneath it which would break and dump ALL of the coolant out almost immediately. To this day the only place I found to buy the metal replacement for those GM cars was Autozone. I am not endorsing them buy the way. And it is a bit off topic as that is not a G6 engine. But a little facts on the coolant problem GM knew about and lost a pretty big law suit over and STILL puts DEX-cool in cars to this day?...... Why......Money....Oh and by the way, they do sell a aftermarket kit with aluminum gaskets with rubber embedded to prevent this. There are also no gaskets on the flat plane between the two heads on either side. You use about a 1/4 inch of black RTV silicone. Slightly over lapping on the gasket. The gaskets them selves get no silicone. NONE. This requires the removal of the rocker arms and I found the easiest way to keep them in place for placement back in the right cylinder is to get a box and just stab them thru and label intake, exhaust cyl#. Let that RTV set up for about 10 minutes to "tack up" also. Hope this helps. PS this is the lower intake gasket set, the upper is the plenum, and you need to get both when doing the lower job. This is also a good time to do a tune up as your already right there. A oil change is mandatory with the filter as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts