Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a small coolant leak coming from the passenger side rear of the engine. I thought it might be the coolant crossover tube gaskets as thats a problem with majority of them.

I called the dealer to get part numbers for the gasket and he said the 2006 3.5L does not have a crossover tube.

I thought like 2006-2008 had one kind then later years had a different style.

Is that true?

Thanks.

·
Old far...er...tinkerer..
303 Posts
have a small coolant leak coming from the passenger side rear of the engine. I thought it might be the coolant crossover tube gaskets as thats a problem with majority of them.

I called the dealer to get part numbers for the gasket and he said the 2006 3.5L does not have a crossover tube.

I thought like 2006-2008 had one kind then later years had a different style.

Is that true?

Thanks.
My 07 G6 has the LZ4 3.5L motor, and it has the crossover pipe. I put new gaskets in a few months ago, and that solved my coolant leak problem.

I don't think they offered any other 3.5's in this car [in 2007]. Just in case, if you can check your RPO code list - it's in the trunk or glove box, can't recall which - it should include LZ4 which will confirm your motor.

Doug

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill have to check that, maybe i just got a parts guy that doesnt know what hes doing. Do you happen to have the part numbers for those gaskets

·
Old far...er...tinkerer..
303 Posts
well after a little research i guess it doesnt have the LZ4. LX9 which doesnt have the crossover tube.
As I understand it, the LX9 (3.5L) is based on the LA1 (3.4L). The LA1 was prone to eating lower intake gaskets. I've replaced those gaskets on my two 2002 Impalas - it's not a trivial project, but it can be done in a day (assuming you don't have to run out to the store for tools too many times :) )

I don't know much about the LX9, if it has the same issues as the LA1 or not.

But you can always borrow a radiator pressure test kit from the parts store and use that to pin point the leak.

NB: To clear up my earlier post, when I said they didn't use any other 3.5's in the G6, I should have added "in 2007", my car's year.

Doug

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea, i have done that lower intake gasket on a malibu. wasnt too bad, we did have the right tools though which makes it easier but it still took 6 hours.

Hopefully its not that. i guess ill have to remove some more parts. dig a little deeper into where its leaking from exactly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts