Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So does anyone have a pic of where the coolant temp sensor is at on this motor. Can't seem to locate it. From other diagrams I seen I thought it was in the location pictured but I don't see it there either..
Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Car Automotive exterior

· Registered
424 Posts
The sensor should be on the end of the forward cyl. head, basically under the throttle body and heater core pipes are in the way. NOT often to see this sensor go bad, NORE COMMON is a bad thermostat. Why are you changing the sensor? Do you have specific code(s) for it and have FULLY diagnosed that it is not the T-stat or other problem?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The sensor should be on the end of the forward cyl. head, basically under the throttle body and heater core pipes are in the way. NOT often to see this sensor go bad, NORE COMMON is a bad thermostat. Why are you changing the sensor? Do you have specific code(s) for it and have FULLY diagnosed that it is not the T-stat or other problem?
The code was p0128
I just assumed it was that because I had another car that did the same thing where the radiator fans would stay on all the time when the cars on and it was that sensor. The temp gauge seems to work normally.

· Registered
424 Posts
The code was p0128
I just assumed it was that because I had another car that did the same thing where the radiator fans would stay on all the time when the cars on and it was that sensor. The temp gauge seems to work normally.
P0128 code is most commonly found to be a stuck open T-stat, Comp. sees engine not getting to temp fast enough. Not an easier change than other motors, but definitely easier than the temp sensor that will probably not fix your problem. YES, a stuck open T-stat will turn on the rad fan(s) and do a couple other weird things. Mine went bad, and when I took it out there was a rubber ring around the main plate that shifted and stuck the stat partly open causing the P0128 code. Take the pass. headlight out for best access to the "stat" housing.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
P0128 code is most commonly found to be a stuck open T-stat, Comp. sees engine not getting to temp fast enough. Not an easier change than other motors, but definitely easier than the temp sensor that will probably not fix your problem. YES, a stuck open T-stat will turn on the rad fan(s) and do a couple other weird things. Mine went bad, and when I took it out there was a rubber ring around the main plate that shifted and stuck the stat partly open causing the P0128 code. Take the pass. headlight out for best access to the "stat" housing.
Okay thank you. I will do that first.

· Registered
504 Posts
P0128 due to a faulty thermostat or coolant temperature sensor would also disable the temperature gauge. Not sure why yours is still working.
Although a faulty thermostat is the most likely problem, a defective temperature sensor is also a possibility.

· Registered
2 Posts
Did you find it? I've been looking for 2 days now.
Yes I did. Scroll up to tmorales509 second post and the sensor is under that black unit. Remove the two hoses to get access to the sensor. You'll never see the sensor, only feel it.
With that being said, it didn't fix the problem. I had to replace the thermostat. There's another thread on this forum that explains that the thermostat is the problem. I will leave you a YouTube link that shows you how to do it easily. The only thing different is don't drain from the bottom of the radiator. Just drain from the thermostat hose. This will solve your problem. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts