Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally tried a coupe (a GTP specifically). For the most part, I loved it. The hydraulic power steering had a much better feeling than the electric, IMO.

One thing, though, that worried me a bit was the rear visibility. I'm used to looking over my shoulder when parallel parking, changing lanes to the right, etc.... Yikes, those rear pillars sure seem big!

So, coupe drivers, what do you think? Are the rear pillars something you get used to after a while? Do you learn to rely mostly on side mirrors?

·
Registered
113 Posts
When I first took mine for a test drive I thought it was pretty bad, looking out the rear was pretty much a no go. But once I picked it up a while later and I'm driving it around more I don't think it's bad at all. Probably just used to it but it doesn't bother me near as much. I mostly rely on side mirrors but I've always done that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It took me a while to get used to it. But still you have to be very aware when ever you back up, you cannot see if somebody is walking near the car. It's not the best in town, but still this is the same with many other coupes. 350Z, G35, Mustangs for example are just about the same.

If visibility is a must for you, forget todays coupes.

But if looks are important, coupes are best. I still get a lot of neckbrabing from other people on red lights and in parking lots.

At worst you can install some electronical gadgets that will help you in your backing. Look around this Forum or E-Bay.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was also worried about the visibility to the rear. I am more used to it now after having a coupe for about 6 months. The first thing I did was remove the rear headrests and that helped alot but you still have to be very careful and rely on your rear view mirrors when making lane changes , especially left to right on a busy highway. I would have loved bigger mirrors like on my 99 Grand Am. I also still find the turning radius when backing up deceiving and don't always end up where I want to go. Even with this negative I love the car and the power. Mine is a GTP.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The headrests in the back are a bonus. I no longer yell at my brother to move his fat head so that I can see when I'm driving with him in the back.

On that note, the low ceiling in the back seat is fun too. Every time I go over a bump he hits his head. :D

Seriously, if you adjust your side mirrors properly, then you do not need to see too much out that back window. When changing lanes, you need the side mirrors more than the rear window.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Visibility?

I too have a GTP coupe and while I am slowly getting used to it, anything to do with backing up or out gives me the willies!
The door mirrors are like those on my 89 Mustang: so small as to be almost useless. How anyone can say they rely on them is beyond me.
But the worst is if one is parallel parked and goes to back out of the space; one can see nothing until far enough out into traffic that one is already smucked or hit a pedestrian if anything or anyone is there! Scary!
I prefer the coupe's styling and looks but should this 'black hole' be the price of admittance? Do stylists ever drive their creations?
GTPdriver

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had my G6 coupe for a year now and have gotten used to it. Use the mirrors a lot. I usually back in to parking spaces--easier to get out of and more control over what's around than when I want to leave.
But the styling outweighs the cons. :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
215 Posts
:eek: When I go to parallel park, or when some a**hole in a SUV parks, leaving me almost no room to get out when I'm parked downtown. Happened the other day at a Mexican restaurant. I actually had to get out twice to see how close to all the other (SUVs) I was parked around me. I have a hard time still with the turning radius and judging how far (close) I am to other vehicles when backing up. But I've only had it a month or so- It's a sizeable car, the styling makes it look smaller than it is. I believe the coupe is exactly the same length as the sedan. Mirrors come in really handy when parallel parking, which I have to do a lot. And I'm glad the wheels are flangeless to help avoid curb rash in case I screw up:cheers:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rear Visibility?

I agree that time resolves this issue. I'm extra cautious when I backup but that's safe driving anyway. The mirrors compensate for the lack of rear window visibility. The G6 styling more than compensates for this issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.