Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I've been struggling (I emphasize struggling) with the decision over whether to replace my Vibe with a G6 sedan or coupe. My dad bought an 05 GT sedan last december, every option but XM and leather, and overall, he loves it. Only gripe has been the panoramic moonroof rattling and whistling. He doesn't mind it, but it drives me nuts. Anyway, I still love the G6. I know it's what I want. But I'm straining to decide between the coupe and sedan. My cons on the sedan are that it isn't "new" and "fresh" and "head turning" as much as it used to be. As selfish as it sounds (and i'm not typically a selfish person, so in this case, i don't care i am being selfish since it's a rareity) i want to be noticed. because so many sedans are out on the roads now, i don't feel i'll get noticed as much as i want to. i also have been told by people that a 4 door makes me look older. eh, whatever. i'm 24. i feel old. anyway, if i get a sedan, i'm getting the panoramic roof. it's a no brainer. i love that roof, and despite it's flaws, it makes the car look fricken amazing. BUT, the fact that rattles and air leaks seem to be a somewhat common problem, it worries me. Thus, I wonder if a sedan is for me.

Then there's the coupe. overall i like the roofline, very dramatic and stylish. the back end isn't bad either. my big styling gripe is that the rear quarter panels. they're so...well...BIG...and they don't have anything to break up the smoothness of the panel...the car is so long, it looks off to me. don't get me wrong, it does look nice, but for some reason, the fact it's AS long as the sedan, makes it look off. anyway, here are my two biggest concerns. (1) the coupe i'm looking at getting is at a nearby dealer, but it doesn't have side airbags. the last coupe i had was an 02 sunfire before my vibe. less then a year after i got it, i was in a horrific accident which totalled the car. i walked away with scratches and bruises, but the car was destroyed. obviously, after that, safety moved up on the list of priorities. i was talking to my sales rep about that, and he said that side airbags are more crucial in a sedan then a coupe...that while of course they'll help in an accident, the car isn't necessarily unsafe without them. i don't really know either way, since i can't find any crash data regarding the coupe...obviously. seems too soon for it to be out. so the sedan wins that one -- it has 'em. my second worry is about my friends. why? most of them are taller then me. :) i'm 5'-5", and when i sat in the back seat, my head just brushed the headliner. even in the front seat, when i put the seat at a comfortable height, i find myself to be unsually close to the roof. do any tall folks here own the coupe? can you fit comfortably in it? i don't want to get a car that none of my friends want to ride in because it's too small for them to sit comfortably in...i haven't really been in any 2-door cars since my sunfire 3 years ago, so i don't really know what's the "norm" and what isn't. perhaps i just sit really high, i dunno. lol.

so yeah, i guess you all see my dilemma now. two cars, both fricken awesome overall, and just about $1200 price difference between the two (working out to just around $20/month financed, so in other words, negligible).

i was supposed to get them a decision this afternoon, but after spending about 4 hours on the internet reading feedback from owners of both models, i finally called and told them i'd get back to them in the morning.

so what do YOU, owners of coupes and sedans, have to offer this dude who is so fricken clueless as to what he wants it's not even funny???

thanks in advance all!

·
Registered
532 Posts
2 door all the way.. I have the 4 door..and I was kinda pissed when I say the 2 door design prior to release :( If I had to suffer thru it again I would have gotten the 2 door

·
Registered
423 Posts
i agree, but thats just me.....i've always been a 'coupe kinda guy'. this is my first REAL sedan. don't get me wrong, i LOVE my G6 but if i had a choice between a G6 GT Coupe and a G6 GT Sedan equipted exactly the same, the COUPE wins. again, that just me.

go with what makes YOU happy and from all you have said (and you bring up some very good points, pro and con).....i think your heart is saying.............

G6 GT COUPE!!!!!! OK? great, now what COLOR????? are you going to make another list?

p.s. i have the 'regular' sunroof in my GT and even though the Panaoramic is way cool, i think in the long run you'll be happier without THAT option.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
G6Action said:
i agree, but thats just me.....i've always been a 'coupe kinda guy'. this is my first REAL sedan. don't get me wrong, i LOVE my G6 but if i had a choice between a G6 GT Coupe and a G6 GT Sedan equipted exactly the same, the COUPE wins. again, that just me.

go with what makes YOU happy and from all you have said (and you bring up some very good points, pro and con).....i think your heart is saying.............

G6 GT COUPE!!!!!! OK? great, now what COLOR????? are you going to make another list?

p.s. i have the 'regular' sunroof in my GT and even though the Panaoramic is way cool, i think in the long run you'll be happier without THAT option.
Is anyone able to tell me if the low roof is gonna be a problem for my taller friends (remember, I'm 5-5 and just brushing the roofline...)

Yeah, guess I just need to get over my claustrophobia then... :(

Oh, as to color...I already have it down to electric blue metallic...i found two identically equipped cars - coupe/sedan, both in blue, pedals, xm, onstar, wheels, 6 disc...both at the same dealership...but the sedan has side airbags...something i'm really starting to wonder if i need in the coupe or not... this one i found doesn't have them...debating if i should order or to get them or not...

·
Registered
488 Posts
Dude I can't figure out how you think the roofline is too low. I'm 6'3", and my head is nowhere near the roof. I had a friend from work sit in the back seat to show him how much room there was, he's 6'5", and he had no complaints about headroom! Another one was about 6'6", and he was in the passenger seat and his head wasn't touching the roof. Were your seats adjusted right?

I'm loving my GTP coupe. I agree with you about the rear quarterpanels, but from an angle the car looks awesome, like it's about to strike! As for the side airbags, OnStar, and adjustable pedals, those are the only options I DIDN'T get. Good luck with your decision!

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GTPGuy82 said:
Dude I can't figure out how you think the roofline is too low. I'm 6'3", and my head is nowhere near the roof. I had a friend from work sit in the back seat to show him how much room there was, he's 6'5", and he had no complaints about headroom! Another one was about 6'6", and he was in the passenger seat and his head wasn't touching the roof. Were your seats adjusted right?

I'm loving my GTP coupe. I agree with you about the rear quarterpanels, but from an angle the car looks awesome, like it's about to strike! As for the side airbags, OnStar, and adjustable pedals, those are the only options I DIDN'T get. Good luck with your decision!

Mike
I'm not sure what I was doing wrong then...but heck, if both a 6'5" and 6'6" guy can fit in there, then i shouldn't have a problem...

As for airbags, I guess I'm just extra concerned since I haven't been in a 2 door car since I totalled my Sunfire...I figure anything extra can save my life. Does anyone have any idea how this car will hold up in a side collision?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a black G6 GT Sedan, I love it, but the Coupe is awesome. I will say though if I had to do it again, I would have still gotten the Sedan, but I'm a girl and you know girls pack a lot of stuff in their cars and it's easier to get the shopping bags out of the back seat with 4 doors. Coupe or Sedan, they are not grocery getters!! I went from an Xterra to this car and I do miss the packing room. We don't have a lot of G6's where I'm at. We've got maybe 2 in our town, one being mine, and I have not seen any Coupes on the road, yet! Go with your heart, but since I'm a girl I will tell you, if you want to pick up chicks, I'd go with the Coupe!! :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Why do you want to ditch the Vibe? It has better gas milage and way more functionality than the G6. Do you just want a faster car? Drop a Toyota TRD supercharger in it from GM performance parts. When I bought my G6 I narrowed the search down to the Vibe and G6. The dealer didn't have a Vibe in stock that had everything I wanted in it, so I got the G6. If my car ever gets stolen or totalled I'll be getting the Vibe AWD/supercharger.

The Vibe supercharger kit includes an Eaton Roots-type blower that feeds the 1.8L engine with 7.5 lbs. of boost, increasing horsepower up to 40%, pushing the power numbers as high as 180hp at 6,800 rpm. Torque is boosted up to 18% v. stock trim and propels the Vibe to 160lb.ft. at 4,600 rpm. The GM Performance Parts supercharger kit is factory engineered and extensively tested to rigorous GM standards on performance and durability. $2995* :banana:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Explr1 said:
Why do you want to ditch the Vibe? It has better gas milage and way more functionality than the G6. Do you just want a faster car? Drop a Toyota TRD supercharger in it from GM performance parts. When I bought my G6 I narrowed the search down to the Vibe and G6. The dealer didn't have a Vibe in stock that had everything I wanted in it, so I got the G6. If my car ever gets stolen or totalled I'll be getting the Vibe AWD/supercharger.
At just over 62000 miles, the Vibe is falling apart. Starting to have to put a tone of money into repairs and maintenance. I drive 100 miles a day back and forth to work. Need something more reliable, more stylish, and by far, more GM. The Toyota in my Vibe sucks. The powertrain is weak, and the reliability is anything but. The supercharger is worthless to me because I refuse to pay for premium fuel (hence the lack of a GTP in my future). I don't need the hauling capacity of the Vibe. It's rarely carrying anything that the G6 can't handle. Heck, I was looking at a Solstice (had it not been over a year wait, I would have been getting that instead). I want a car that looks better, will hold up better (the paint on the vibe chips and peels if you look at it the wrong way), and will give me more power, on regular fuel. Oh, and screw gas mileage. I'm happy to break 26 mpg in this car. My dad's 05 G6 GT gets more mpgs then my Vibe.

And the main reason is that back in June I got a pretty sizeable promotion (with a pretty sizeable salary increase). I had been wanting a new car for a while, so I felt it was a nice present to myself to get myself a car I WANTED, not a car I got because it was there (the Vibe was a replacement for my totalled Sunfire. I would still be in the Sunfire if I hadn't lost it that day. :()

As an aside, you can't put the supercharger on the AWD powertrain. So don't get your hopes up...

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
Ditch the Vibe. If you plan on taking no more than two people and dont plan on hauling anything then get the coupe. The cool thing here is that the Sedan is so stylish it doesnt look like an older persons car to me. Its the the same length as my Wife's Mustang! I have people looking at my sedan everyday. I think it is the Chrometech wheels...man do they shine!! ha haa Also the paint has a metalic look to it...
If you get the sedan you can pirate parts from your old mans car!! ha haa

I would say Coupe it while your single unless you move stuff around. The grab the sedan. Youll be happy either way.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Lampoon said:
Ditch the Vibe. If you plan on taking no more than two people and dont plan on hauling anything then get the coupe. The cool thing here is that the Sedan is so stylish it doesnt look like an older persons car to me. Its the the same length as my Wife's Mustang! I have people looking at my sedan everyday. I think it is the Chrometech wheels...man do they shine!! ha haa Also the paint has a metalic look to it...
If you get the sedan you can pirate parts from your old mans car!! ha haa

I would say Coupe it while your single unless you move stuff around. The grab the sedan. Youll be happy either way.

He's right, those wheels definitely shine!! I noticed going down my street the other day that I could see the reflection of my wheels on the road. I'll post pictures of mine one day. I was going to do it last night, but by the time my husband got it clean it was dark and posting pictures of it dirty would be an injustice. :p

·
Registered
532 Posts
ragingfish said:
to get myself a car I WANTED, not a car I got because it was there (the Vibe was a replacement for my totalled Sunfire. I would still be in the Sunfire if I hadn't lost it that day. :()
LMAO.. .sounds familiar... Its the only reason im here... spun a bearing in my Z... enter the G6.

Just waiting for the wrecked/stolen thing to happen now. :(

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I finally decided. I got a 2006 G6 GT Coupe coming my way, hoping for delivery either Friday or Saturday. Here's what's I got:

2006 PONTIAC G6 GT COUPE

Exterior: Electric Blue Metallic
Interior: Ebony, Impression Cloth

Options:
MX0 - 4 speed Automatic Transmission w/ Manual Shift Capabilities
AP3 - Keyless Entry w/ Remote Start
CF5 - Power Moon Roof
D49 - Power Mirrors
JF4 - Adjustable Power Pedals
JL9 - Front/Rear Disc Brakes w/ ABS
NW9 - Electronic Traction Control
PFE - 17x7 ChromeTech wheels
QWN - All-season 225/50/17 tires (likely to suck)
U2K - Digital Audio System / XM
U85 - 8 speaker premium audio system w/ outboard amplifer
UC6 - in-dash 6 disc changer
UE1 - OnStar

MSRP - $25,300. But we ALL know that isn't what anyone pays. ;)

Can't wait for it to be mine!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts