Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a whistling coming from my front passenger side window (over 60 km/hr) , it has been determined. I have had adjustments made 4 times at the dealer where I bought the car, however the whistling is still there. Any ideas. My next might be to contact GM customer service.

There is a rattle that comes and goes from somewhere deep in the passenger side dash. Any fixes for this.

Also anybody tried driving with the back windows open (with or without the sunroof open). You will get a wind sound that could drive one crazy or give a you feeling that the eardrums will burst.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts
i sometimes have a whistle that sounds like it is coming from the passenger window, but it is actually coming from the panoramic sunroof. I only get the whistle when i go around 80 MPH, and if i open the roof and then close it, the whistle goes away for a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
rakeshs_ca said:
I have a whistling coming from my front passenger side window (over 60 km/hr) , it has been determined. I have had adjustments made 4 times at the dealer where I bought the car, however the whistling is still there. Any ideas. My next might be to contact GM customer service.

There is a rattle that comes and goes from somewhere deep in the passenger side dash. Any fixes for this.

Also anybody tried driving with the back windows open (with or without the sunroof open). You will get a wind sound that could drive one crazy or give a you feeling that the eardrums will burst.

I had a rattle that sounded like it was coming from inside the passenger's side dash. My problem was a loose belt and tension rod. It was replaced and the rattle went away, however after about a month the rattle has come back. Someone else had a rattle and their solution was different from mine. Mine you could open the hood and hear the belt rattle, when of course it wanted too!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
rakeshs_ca said:
I have a whistling coming from my front passenger side window (over 60 km/hr) , it has been determined. I have had adjustments made 4 times at the dealer where I bought the car, however the whistling is still there. Any ideas. My next might be to contact GM customer service.

There is a rattle that comes and goes from somewhere deep in the passenger side dash. Any fixes for this.

Also anybody tried driving with the back windows open (with or without the sunroof open). You will get a wind sound that could drive one crazy or give a you feeling that the eardrums will burst.
guess thats something i'll have to try tomorrow. my girfriend had a Daewoo Leganza (i did say HAD, it was unfortunately totalled when a bicycle hit her broad-side. :D ) that when her daughter was in the back seat with the windows down, i thought my head was going to explode!!!! haven't tried it with the 'G' yet, but tomorrow......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
rakeshs_ca said:
I have a whistling coming from my front passenger side window (over 60 km/hr) , it has been determined. I have had adjustments made 4 times at the dealer where I bought the car, however the whistling is still there. Any ideas. My next might be to contact GM customer service.

There is a rattle that comes and goes from somewhere deep in the passenger side dash. Any fixes for this.

Also anybody tried driving with the back windows open (with or without the sunroof open). You will get a wind sound that could drive one crazy or give a you feeling that the eardrums will burst.
deler fixed my rattle.its under hood on passenger side--lift the rubber that is near the shock tower--those seams need to be sealed -that was my ratle--body flex at that point-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
hook2233 said:
deler fixed my rattle.its under hood on passenger side--lift the rubber that is near the shock tower--those seams need to be sealed -that was my ratle--body flex at that point-
I looked for a while and cant seem to find the area you are talking about. The dealer here sucks and of course wont even bother to look anymore since the guy 'claims' he cant hear anything (even when you can here it plain as day).

A picture would help immensely! Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Couple of problems

Well the car was at the dealership for 2 days (5th time there for the whistling problem) They couldn't locate where the whistling is coming from. GM says that is the design of the car and there is nothing that can be done about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
rakeshs_ca said:
Well the car was at the dealership for 2 days (5th time there for the whistling problem) They couldn't locate where the whistling is coming from. GM says that is the design of the car and there is nothing that can be done about it.
i think that if you check with GM, they will tell you that your vehicle must have been one of the later production G6's that have incorporated into the electronics a DWD. while i am not sure how DWD works or if it is something that can be turned off by your dealer, i DO know that if YOU can hear it, then you must have either excellent hearing or very sensitive ear drums. i was told that when the DWD was activated (i believe when reaching 30+mph), that it would normally be undetected by the passengers in the car. i know for a fact that a couple of our members have G6's WITHOUT the DWD, but i would say you must be one of the lucky ones.

ask your dealership to see if the DWD can be 'deactivated' or 'toned down' and if so, that should solve your problem. oh, for those not in the 'know', DWD stands for "Deer Warning Device"..... :rolleyes: gotcha!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
G6Action said:
i think that if you check with GM, they will tell you that your vehicle must have been one of the later production G6's that have incorporated into the electronics a DWD. while i am not sure how DWD works or if it is something that can be turned off by your dealer, i DO know that if YOU can hear it, then you must have either excellent hearing or very sensitive ear drums. i was told that when the DWD was activated (i believe when reaching 30+mph), that it would normally be undetected by the passengers in the car. i know for a fact that a couple of our members have G6's WITHOUT the DWD, but i would say you must be one of the lucky ones.

ask your dealership to see if the DWD can be 'deactivated' or 'toned down' and if so, that should solve your problem. oh, for those not in the 'know', DWD stands for "Deer Warning Device"..... :rolleyes: gotcha!!!
You know someone told me that I had a deer warning device on my G6 and I looked at them like they were crazy. The guy even pointed to it and I still thought he was nuts!! I, however, don't hear it and I have excellent hearing, unlike my vision!! :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
The whistle can be fixed with new weather stripping. I have the part number somewhere if anyone needs it to tell their dealer... It fixed mine...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
PCB said:
Robin,
What did they point at when they showed you the DWD??

It was hiden behind the front grill. The guy pointed to it and a few days later I finally gave in and looked and there is something behind the grill that looks like, I guess it may be the DWD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
Robyn P said:
It was hiden behind the front grill. The guy pointed to it and a few days later I finally gave in and looked and there is something behind the grill that looks like, I guess it may be the DWD.
OK, sorry, i can't take it any more!!!!!

I WAS KIDDING, AS IN A PRANK, A JOKE, you know, like 'you just got "punked"

THERE IS NO DWD, i just made it up because of the G6 owners complaining about a 'whistling noise' coming from their cars and for those who had actually hit deers could have used a DWD, if there was such a thing.....BUT THERE'S NOT!!

MY BAD, NO DWD, but hey, GM? its not too late to install such a device on each and every car......WHY NOT? of course, it wouldn't be ELECTRONIC, just a plain old 'deer whistle' mounted inconspicuously in the front of the car. if there WAS such a device, then a couple of our members (MHadden and Ragingfish, i think) might have a case for a lawsuit for 'failure' of the DWD. but since there ISN'T ONE, that would be a moot point......

gotta go now. its time to see Nurse Ratchet, she has my pills and a nice shock treatment waiting for me......oh, look at the pretty pink elephants and they're all dancing to Paul Simons "Still Crazy After All These Years".....Nurse, should i be laying in this puddle of water while you administer these shock treatmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Oh man, I was sucked into this hook, line and sinker.... Too bad, we have a group of deer around here that have taken an oath to take out as many vehicles as possable before the end of the year. I put a brush guard on my Grand Cherokee just for that reason, but I don't think the G6 would look good with one....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Robyn P said:
It was hiden behind the front grill. The guy pointed to it and a few days later I finally gave in and looked and there is something behind the grill that looks like, I guess it may be the DWD.
If you're referring to the little gadget behind the driver side of the upper grille, I'm 99% positive that's your outdoor temp sensor that displays in the radio.

As for a whistling, I have developed one on the driver side, but it appeared only after I had a run-in with a deer. The mirror has never sat flush against the door since then, so I think that may have had something to do with it. When I finally get back my car from the body shop (been a week and a half now *sigh*) I'll see if it's gone or not...
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top