Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

Just bought an '08 G6 4cyl couple days ago and am noticing a couple things, not sure if they're supposed to be this way or not, lol. Went from a gas hogging dodge dakota to this lil thing :D

First thing, is the 4cyl a louder engine, as in, does it generally run rougher than say a v6 or v8?

Next would be, when I'm driving, it sounds like I'm hearing a "tick" noise that increases with speed/slows with speed from the drivers side wheel. Don't think it would be something in the tire, because they're literally brand new.

Another thing: do these cars (being a low end model) generally have a loud suspension? As in, I hit a bump going down the road slowly, if I have the windows down I hear something that sounds like a "hiss" from the shocks, and with/without the windows down, it just sounds like it's really rough going over small bumps, sort of like a thud. Could I need to get the front suspension checked out?

Last, for now is, where could I get some new visors at? lol..both of mine are broken and don't hug the top, and the lid for the mirror falls off on one.

Thanks in advance for the advice..hope I didn't get the short end of the stick here.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,351 Posts
I have a 6 so I dont know much about the 4cyl.
I dont have any ticks...?

The hiss is normal over speed bumps etc....Its the shocks.

Visors - try eBay.

Welcome!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

Just popped the hood w/ engine running, and there's a ticking noise that sounds like its coming from the front of the motor, top side, any ideas?

Just hoping I don't end up having to throw this thing in the shop or make me regret trading in my truck for it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
loose lifter? bent rod? belt?
try reving the engine, if the ticking gets faster it might be something internal.

·
Registered
88 Posts
check oil level, if its low add or get it changed. If it goes away i THINK its a bent rod ..but defs sounds like it'll break the bank.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Think it could be the timing chain tensioner? Doing some research online and it seems like it's a common problem with these engines.

Haven't checked the oil yet, just kind of assumed that since the dealership did it before I drove out, that they'd have it right (but who trusts the stealership anyway).

I'd really love if it wasn't something stupidly major, because the last thing I need is to throw the car in the shop when I have 12 mile commute to work every day :/

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Went outside to take a quick video of it..sorry if its hard to hear, but it's there. I'll try and grab another one tomorrow when it's not so damn cold.

It makes the noise cold/hot :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took it by a good friend/mechanic, he listened to it and everything sounds fine to him, no lifter/rod, etc, but said he noticed it more in the area the oil filter is located at..any ideas?

He suggested I stopped by the stealership, and I had to anyway, so they took a courtesy listen, he think's its the cables coming out of the top of the engine that run back through the firewall that are rattling against something.

Other noise they pointed out, was just the injectors..are they normally loud on this lil 4 banger?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welp, we figured out what it is.

The culprit of the noisemaking is the Vapor Canister Purge Valve..any ideas if these are supposed to be noisy/if I get a replacement ac delco to throw on it (suggested by the tech, but he didn't know if it would remedy it or not) would fix it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts