Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should have taken pictures to help describe my problem, but here goes...the MAF is probably 1/4"-1/2" wider than the rubber "coupler" that was provided. I fought with it for about 10 minutes before I decided to cut it and "Jerry rig" it to fit. I ran some higher quality tape around the rubber coupler to close the gap and then installed the short pipe provided to attach the cone to. So basically the pipe is quite a bit smaller than the MAF.

So aparently the newer G6's need bigger connectors and a bigger cone. I'm going to measure and get a pipe with couplers to fit and then go with the cone that I have from AutoZone that is the right size...either way, I finally have CRABS...never thought I'd be excited to say it.

·
Fried like a Cheese Stick
1,035 Posts
Just put butter on it :D

I ran into the same problem but fortunately had some spare couplers from an unremembered Grand Prix project that went from larger at one end to smaller at the other (behave!), and they worked out perfectly for the CRABs application :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
doesn't that have the possibility of casueing adverse effect? i know that on my car, if i put an intake that is literally .15" different in diameter than the stock intake, my car will run like shit.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,353 Posts
...and thats why I say to contact me if you have any problems. :frown:

You should not have cut it. That ruins it. All you have to do is bend it
out and stretch it with your fingers before putting it on. It stretches.
You can also use hot water on it, as heat makes it more pliable.

An 18 year old girl emailed me that she started to have that same problem because she isnt very strong but that she got out her blow dryer and heated it up and it went right on, easy cheesy.

The MAF is 1/8" to 1/4" larger than the diameter of the coupler (depending on which one you have) but this coupler is designed to stretch over the maf. It is made to do this.
A coupler that stretches is a better option for a tighter fit as the 3.25" to 3" reducer fits too loose. Couplers that are too big then clamped down have a greater risk of leaking.

If anyone else runs into this problem then run the coupler under very hot water. Then take it out, dry it off and grab the side your going to stretch on and pull it outward.
You will see it stretch. Then put it on the maf and tighten it down.

You will notice that one clamp is longer than the other. The longer one is for your maf side of the coupler.

As for it running like shit....your Throttle Body Intake is 3". How is a 3" coupler stretched onto the MAF going to make it run like shit? At no point is a Crab Intake smaller than the TBI. An intake will only flow at the rate of its smallest contriction point and that is not your coupler...its your stock front pipe.

So tell him how it runs now with the intake....

I can send you another coupler but since you cut it, I dont feel intentional damage should be on my nickle. I will do it for actual cost though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i wasn't implying that your intakes were smaller, i was responding to the comment that implied that. i understand what your saying and was pretty confused that onyone would attempt to fashion an intake smaller than the TB inlet.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I should have taken pictures to help describe my problem, but here goes...the MAF is probably 1/4"-1/2" wider than the rubber "coupler" that was provided. I fought with it for about 10 minutes before I decided to cut it and "Jerry rig" it to fit. I ran some higher quality tape around the rubber coupler to close the gap and then installed the short pipe provided to attach the cone to. So basically the pipe is quite a bit smaller than the MAF.

So aparently the newer G6's need bigger connectors and a bigger cone. I'm going to measure and get a pipe with couplers to fit and then go with the cone that I have from AutoZone that is the right size...either way, I finally have CRABS...never thought I'd be excited to say it.
I boiled about 2" of water and let the couplers sit in it for a few minutes - they slid right on. Definitely get new couplers from Lampoon.

·
Registered
638 Posts
kinda related to CRABs, do you have any more FPUs yet pooners?

·
Registered
4 Posts
It was also a tight fit for me. I just followed the instrutions that were sent with the crabs. Just boiled some water and it went right on. little elbow grease is required. All in all a quik install.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
An 18 year old girl emailed me that she started to have that same problem because she isnt very strong but that she got out her blow dryer and heated it up and it went right on, easy cheesy.
I just saw this LOL She did it without problems!

Mine was easy to put on, no problems at all! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts