Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So everyone, I know that this car is starting to lose all of it's aftermarket support (what little it seemed to have) and I don't know too much about all the scene around these cars, but I was wanting to throw out a thread about this to set the record straight.

First, I know the Crab Intakes website is still up and seems to be functioning (as long as you have adobe flash working) but I and a few others have tried to get contact made with no reply. This has led me to assume they aren't being made anymore from the source. This is my first assumption and I'd like someone who knows more definitively whether or not this is true so that I and any others will know.

Second, assuming they aren't being made anymore, and that an individual like myself is unable to stumble across one in a like wrecker-yard in a G6, what good alternatives are there to a CRAB's Intake? I would imagine they can be built with some instructions, but I don't know enough off hand to fab up my own rendition. Are there other reputable alternatives that serve the same function?

Thanks for any answers, and if the man behind the intakes himself shows up, I'd love to hear whatever you would like to share on the topic. I'd love to get a CRAB's intake or make my own, but I am just not sure what all will need to go into the process to make it right.

·
Registered
2006 G6 GTP F40
78 Posts

This seems like a nice intake. I was thinking about it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only a few issues. First, will it work with the 3.9l? And second, it's out of stock.

·
Super Moderator
4,140 Posts
You can try sending lampoon a private message. He's a mod here. He shows up every once in a while.
I had originally went with the K&N intake. But didn't like the heat shield or rather the lack of. So I went with just the heat shield from Crabs. So if it came down to it and he still has the heatshield you can go that route.
I've got pics comparing the two in my build thread.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The G6 already has a cold air intake from the factory. A cone shaped air filter is not automatically a cold air intake. I just did this because I don't like plastic engine covers.

·
Super Moderator
4,140 Posts
I think the main hold up with getting a good flow of "cold air " is the intake resonator. But once you remove that there is a slight chance of getting water in your intake if your using the stock air box. So at that point the cone filter would be the way to go. But without a heatshield your just sucking up hot engine air.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the way I understood it. Mainly just, you want to segregate your cone filter from engine air if you remove resonator to prevent pulling water.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a bale inside the intake behind the headlight. It allows your airflow to, well, resonate, which makes your car intake quieter, slightly messes with airflow, but also prevents any water from getting into system.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Great...thanks for the reply. I was afraid that it was the big, fat, plastic engine cover because I have a bit more engine noise with it removed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts