Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else here almost a "cracking" noise coming from either the top of the dash or the windshield? Mine is pretty loud at times, but I can't narrow down to where it's coming from. I've noticed it since it's been cold. There is no ice involved though, so I know it is not that.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Every vehicle I've ever driven has made a cracking noise like you describe when it's very cold out. I haven't yet figured out what it is.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just curious do you have a Panaramic sunroof. I had a rattle up near the driver head. Bug the hell our of me got it fixed. If you cracking sound coming from the windshield. It just the car metal and windshield settling from the contracting and uncontraction from the cold to being warm. should go away soon.

·
Registered
152 Posts
yeah.. my car used to do that.. but it has calmed down recently.. the first few times it was cold.. it was pretty bad.. but only happens occasionally when cold now..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cyrrus said:
Just curious do you have a Panaramic sunroof. I had a rattle up near the driver head. Bug the hell our of me got it fixed. If you cracking sound coming from the windshield. It just the car metal and windshield settling from the contracting and uncontraction from the cold to being warm. should go away soon.
Yeah, I have a panoramic roof. I hear cracking up there sometimes too. I attributed that to some ice up there.

The windshield though can be VERY loud at times. It happens quite frequently while driving 40+ minutes, as well as on very short trips.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same Strange Noise

Live in Maryland, pretty mild winter until recently. Like you, once it started to get cold, I started to notice a cracking noise. Can't determine where it is coming from.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine does the same thing. It is the cheap plastic up at the top of the dash. When I have the defroster on, or the vents even pointing only to the feet, it does it. It's especially bad when I go over bumps. It's very loud (and embarassing) at times. I will address this to the technician when my first oil change comes due.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Your right Black G6 thats exactly where its coming from. I'm not a fan of the plastic I knew it was going to make noise. My Grand Am actually doesnt do it but the G6 does and it drives me crazy its actually been getting worse at times . I havent heard any cracking coming from the panoramic sunroof yet.

Ive heard the noise in other cars but this noise is actually really loud and its not when its extremly cold because it really hasnt gotten all that cold here but anywhere from 40 degrees down.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My G6 gt has that cracking noise as well but i think it is just the cold. Here in Indiana we really don't have extremely cold winters but it can get below freezing. However it has started to settle down after about 3 months of owning it. As for the noise up by my panaramic sunroof i have not noticed it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's just the massive amount of plastic expanding as it heats -

although its annoying I dont think its anything to be too worried about

·
Registered
67 Posts
G6Boi said:
It's just the massive amount of plastic expanding as it heats -

although its annoying I dont think its anything to be too worried about
I know thats the problem. But most GM cars use plastic interior parts. My Grand Am doesnt make the sound (and my Grand Am was a lot cheaper than the G6) So the G6 should be no different. Neither did my 2001 Saturn SC2 which was even cheaper than my Grand Am. I've been in cars that will make a few sounds but never as bad as I have heard on the G6.

·
Registered
67 Posts
S8ER99 said:
Yeah mine is pretty damn annoying.. I try not to drive the car as much as possible.
Also..anyone else have a sqeaky brake pedal??
Nope not yet, But the car has been gone for like a week now. Probably when I get it back it will hehe

·
Registered
31 Posts
Cripes O' Mighty There's A Lot of Griping Going On!

Geez guys you are going to let plastic popping and brake pedal squeaking drive you nuts on a cheap G6. Go pay > $40K for a BMW if you want a squeak free car. I have news for you though even my M3 and M Roadster had the plastic popping and clutch pedal creaking. It pissed me off a lot more on those vehicles since I payed at least twice as much for them as I did my G6. Just get some WD-40 for the brake pedal noise and turn up the stereo to drown out the plastic popping.

The G6 is a sub $30K domestic mid-sized sedan so these kinds of noises are to be expected.

:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts