Pontiac G6 Forum banner

261 - 280 of 283 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
So I ordered a 2010 Gauge cluster.
Got it on ebay, seller was asking $89.00 or best offer.
I offered $50 and next thing I know I had a sale. $50 shipped to my door for a 2010 cluster.

So I couldn't wait, It came in right before I left for work, so I took it with me and promptly swapped it in my 15 minute break.

All I did was swap it in and plug it in and done. The radio buttons control both DICs on the stereo and the speedo now.

The new cluster doesn't have the speaker for the turn signal clicker or the other chimes, on the 09.5+ models this was done through the seller (thanks for clarifying that SexyG6!)
Anyways I'm starting to kind of like the silence of it all....

I don't like how it's all white either, so I'm going to pull all the LEDs off my old cluster and pop em onto the new one, Make everything red again.

Another issue is when the lights are off, as if your driving during the day, the cluster illuminates full white, even brighter than max on the dimmer switch with the lights on. So I'm going to trace around the board and see if I can't disable that little feature so it works more like my original cluster.

Another thing I've noticed upon further inspection is that although my new cluster looks like the original, it has a larger and almost more aggressive looking font.
The newer style needles look cool too, but I'm thinking of using my old needles to keep things matching better.

Hopefully I can also get the DIC readout to be red too.

Let the tinkering begin!

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
So I added a windshield drop/banner because I've always wanted to mess with one... and while I was thinking of doing black, I ended up going with Copper :D

I like it, beats the sun, Light still gets through, but I'm not blinded anymore, hardly need my visors now haha.

In the process I found a rust spot at the edge of the roof :mad: Hopefully I can do something about it before winter and before it gets worse...

Speedo Swap Update!
I'm sure there's a few of ya waiting for a write up heheh.
Well I've got all the diagrams together, did my work, and found It might be easier than I thought.
Modification MAY be required on the connector at the switch for it to fit the new switch, Included moving one wire to a different pin #
Then a pin would need to be added to the new cluster IF my idea for an alternative route doesn't work out.

I decided to make it fully functional with 2010 parts before worrying about making the illumination match the rest of the car.

I'm trying to explore all options with this swap so I can be as detailed as possible in my write-up and possible offer multiple options.
Really I want the find the easiest (yet reliable) method to use so people can follow it easily.... I think I'll need to bust out the DSLR for this one :D

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
Quick update.
My 2010 speedo cluster is working.
I put red tint in it for now to make it red, while it worked its a tad too dark compared to the rest of the lighting in the car.
So I'm going to pull the tint and get to replacing LEDs.

An interesting thing I found is the led display in the bottom is actually in green. The gauge face window has a filter that turns it white. So I'll probably just leave it white then...

On another note I think its finally time for a new battery. Today my car gave the first signs and had trouble starting. Its about time considering the battery has been in since it was built in Nov of 2008. And I've got just over 101,000 miles now. Ha

I also get an intermittent code for my vvt actuator. I was expecting it eventually, not too worried right now.

·
#beardlife
21 Posts
Lately I've been messing with my camera and since I work late I tried some long exposure pics at 3:30 in the morning.
So I shot the one below in front of my house where I normally park.
The only light source is a street light about 20 feet behind me (the camera)
I had the shutter open for 15 seconds and I think it got a nice balance.

I'm still a noob with my camera, it's settings and RAW editing but I think things are coming along well. Practice makes perfect after all!

have you tried shooting HDR yet?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
Yea I have with the project car. It came out well with the Sears Tower (I mean willis) in the background, naturally there aren't any visible stars.

I'll get around to trying an hdr night time one soon enough.

Anywho Quick update!
I finally received the last part for my speedo swap. The pin for the connector. I ended up just buying the harness off ebay and it has 7 wires. Since I'll be using one I can probably sell off the remaining 6 at a real low price just to get rid of em.

Then all I need to do is get that installed, snap some final pics and get to typing :D

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
So my car has 103k miles on it so I did a little work,
First the usual oil change.

Then I did a trans service. the fluid came out looking pretty damn clean.

It's a bit darker in the pan as there's very fine gunk on the bottom and on the magnet. Which I've always found in transmissions.
But no metal pieces. and the fluid was pretty damn red, Just dull.

I also did my valve cover gasket which gave me a chance to take a look at my cams.
And honestly they're just as clean now as they were at 30k when I installed my pretty valve cover.

I also replaced the VVT Actuators and cleaned the crud off the head around them.

Runs awesome now. Feels almost like new again!

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Awesome!

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
So I added a thing to my windshield...

Had it cut and laying around for months and thought, hell why not. So I threw it on there.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #271
So I recently tossed some spring spacers in the rear of my car to even things out. It sits more level now and the rear camber isn't so bad. 1" makes a crazy big difference.
I'll have to get a pic of that.

My belt has been making a racket lately and it turns out the pulley bearing on my AC compressor is shot.
AC Bearing Damaged

So I was able to go to autozone and buy a belt for the cobalt without AC. Fits perfectly.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
Well it took almost 6 years and 115,000 miles but my Electronic Power Steering finally reached it's life expectancy.
About a thousand miles ago I noticed it was twitching in the head-on position, Definitely while stopped, but more recently while driving and it's been slowly getting worse.

Here's a video of the twitching:

Steering Twitch

Occasionally I'd get the "Power Steering" message when first getting into my car, I'd just restart it and everything would work again.
Well today it crapped out for good, had to finish running around town with manual steering, boy is it heavy!

Then I got home and restarted it a couple times and it began to work again, and twitch hard.
Sucks I gotta drive so far to/from work, but hopefully it won't cause me any accidents.

It's probably covered under the recall so I guess I need to make an appointment at one of the places I hate most.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #275
Well I finally installed the Alpine SPR-60c speakers and tweeters I've had sitting around since Christmas, And wow what a speaker!
I just did the front speakers and tweeters, still stock stereo and no amp, but it made a huge noticeable difference and I'm VERY pleased with the results.
I also went to Lowes and got some Peel n Seal to use as dynamat, it seems thinner than dynamat but it also seems just as effective.

I bought speaker adapters from ebay, but they were pretty flimsy and thin, so my buddy was kind enough to mod both of the factory speakers so I can use them as brackets.
Then he was awesome enough to help me center and drill the holes for the larger tweeters.

These speakers have a tweeter that'll sit inside it's own trim ring and still be position-able.

You can see which grill holes was used as the pilot for the hole saw...

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #276
Well I recently re-lowered my car and added more camber adjustment to the rear, now I can sit on lowering springs and have my alignment completely within spec.

So I got some wheel adapters to fit 5x114 wheels.
Then I decided to put the rx8 stock wheels on.

Well I don't hate it, but I'll have to get used to it. Really seems to change the whole look of the car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Since none of your Photobucket stuff works, any chance you might be able to re-provide details of your 'puddle lights'? I am curious which LEDs you purchased - and of course, how best to wire it up to the dome circuit. Having some solid examples like your would help me figure out what I'm doing. :)

Thanks!

261 - 280 of 283 Posts