Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I cut off the resonator today!!! That thing weights about 30 pounds and is a friggin three chamber muffler!!! Usually resonators are glasspacks. Anyway, it sounds just like the GA's and Grand Prix's now. I uploaded a quick video from my digi camera on streetfire.net and will let everyone know when it is there.



The link for the video is below. I had the camera a little to close, so it sounds raspy and high pitched.

http://videos.streetfire.net/player.aspx?fileid=BF322F4A-0180-4573-BAC7-292DB81B1008
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
That was a big mistake. Perhaps its just the video, but that thing sounds like a chain saw now. I would do something about that immediatly. And is that rust on the resonator?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jp375 said:
That was a big mistake. Perhaps its just the video, but that thing sounds like a chain saw now. I would do something about that immediatly. And is that rust on the resonator?
Yes, that is the rusty resonator in the pic. And, yes, it does sound bad due to the camera being a foot away from the tail pipe. It's actually very deep and throaty now from the outside. I still can't hear it from the inside though.:mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Shouldn't the resonator be made of stainless so that it doesn't rust? I mean, the oldest that resonator could be is a couple years right? It would probably be eaten through in 5.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jp375 said:
Shouldn't the resonator be made of stainless so that it doesn't rust? I mean, the oldest that resonator could be is a couple years right? It would probably be eaten through in 5.
It's only nine months old, all stock stainless exhaust's I've had have rusted on the outside. The polished stainless doesn't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As an Xmas present to myself, I just ordered the GTP muffler with dual outlets, GTP lower rear facia, and a GTP leather wrapped shifter handle with the chrome top!!!! The 2006 models have all the goodies!!! Thank god for wholesale gm parts' website!!! :D
 

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
Joined
·
5,352 Posts
What did the muffler and dual outlets run ya?
Are you not happy with the exhaust? Why not just Y it out with tips??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lampoon said:
What did the muffler and dual outlets run ya?
Are you not happy with the exhaust? Why not just Y it out with tips??
The GTP muffler with chrome tips was $280. Which is a lot cheaper and will be easier to mount than a custom made setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
That can up in the middle of the car that he removed is the muffler. Cut it open and you'll see what I mean - baffles and chambers = muffler.

The big can under the rear fascia is a resonator.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Lampoon said:
What is a resonator??????
I know where it is and what it looks like but
it looks like a muffler to me.
The resonator is there to take the harsh edge off of the sound that makes it out of the muffler.

It is either unbaffled or lightly baffled or chambered - the point is to allow the exhaust note to resonate inside the can to soften the peaks of the waveform rather than have it escape and cause undesired and unattractive harmonics in the vehicle or your neighbor's ears. Each time the sound wave is reflected, some of the "sharpness" is lost, and if it is reflected back onto itself before exiting it can almost cancel itself out.

Makes it a lot quieter, but adds backpressure by causing directional "confusion" to the exhaust path.

When I get around to it, I'm going to just drop them both out, replace the muffler with a street class turbo muffler, and split to two exits where the back can used to be. Displacement-wise, we should be able to generate an exhaust note similar to that of the new Mustang GT - still a little wimpy but better than what we have from the factory.
 

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
Joined
·
5,352 Posts
otcpharm said:
When I get around to it, I'm going to just drop them both out, replace the muffler with a street class turbo muffler, and split to two exits where the back can used to be. Displacement-wise, we should be able to generate an exhaust note similar to that of the new Mustang GT - still a little wimpy but better than what we have from the factory.
Now why didnt I think of that??

:beer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
Explr1 said:
The GTP muffler with chrome tips was $280. Which is a lot cheaper and will be easier to mount than a custom made setup.
please let us know how the conversion goes. i've been wanting to put duals on mine, but have been debating as to how to go about it. i think you have the best approach as far as I'M concerned as i want to keep it as 'factory' as possible. i guess my concern would be if the intermediate pipe are the same diameter on the GT and GTP. do they connect with a flange joint or just slip together and clamp? i haven't been underneath mine yet.....
 

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
Joined
·
5,352 Posts
I think I am just going to splice out the front muffler and put in a Magnaflow
muffler and then cut the back resonator off and Y it past the axel.
There is not any room to run dual exhaust under this car. In looking at it I
think the engineers forgot about exhaust and dropped it in last minute.

On that note, while I am surfing does anyone know the dimension of the front muffler... 2-1/4 pipe but how long is it? (I dont have a tape measure here at work)
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top