Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can it be done on this car? If so how to do it? Ive kinda looked at the coils and it looks like a tangent coil but i'd rather cut the springs than pay for new ones.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Can you? Of course. Would anyone recommend it? Hell no.

That's like saying: "Can I make my sedan a convertible?" Of course you can. Just cut from the windshield back...

I'd rather get the cheapest springs than cut the stock ones. I think you would be the first though I could be wrong.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Shorter springs with the same compression rate.... sounds like you would be bottoming out quite a bit, or ripping the front fascia off.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shorter springs with the same compression rate.... sounds like you would be bottoming out quite a bit, or ripping the front fascia off.
Not exactly. The amount of cutting in contrast to ride height is so minimal the spring actually becomes stiffer when shortened.. AND cutting or replacing the the springs the cars chance of bottoming out are the same anyways except I'm saving 275$. I'll post pics when I do the procedure. All u haters take a hike.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Not exactly. The amount of cutting in contrast to ride height is so minimal the spring actually becomes stiffer when shortened.. AND cutting or replacing the the springs the cars chance of bottoming out are the same anyways except I'm saving 275$. I'll post pics when I do the procedure. All u haters take a hike.
Not really hating. Just don't recommend it. Tell us your results though. You'll be the first.

·
;)
386 Posts
Never seen or heard it done on the 6 but my guess is that unless u get those cut perfectly the same length (even still) the ride is gonna be bad. Really bumpy, unless u want that low rider hop. You'll feel every bump. Keep us posted tho. Interested in the results.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi
Not a hater - this is unsafe to do
Did this on a pickup truck, DO NOT DO THIS!! The coils compress at different rates, depending where on the coil you measure, you will throw the suspension out of whack and there is no way to weld or otherwise attach any kind of support to prevent the coil ends(where cut) from pushing through support brackets.
I found new springs as part of a lowering kit for just over $ 100 delivered(across border with customs, HST)on ebay, which is a far cry from the 200 apiece for OEM. A bit of research will give you the results you are looking for, plus sell the originals to offset the new ones.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, an old post, but never did the cutting. Bought the Echsbach??? lowereing kit for 225 on autoanything.com with the promo code. Saved a ton on these! Glad i didnt cut anything.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
cutting would've left you with a bouncy ride anyways. Eibach pro kit is the more popular choice, just make sure you get an alignment!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Want to buy some swamp land? Thank god you didn't cut them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts