Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Cutting stock springs..

7K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  J dog 
#1 ·
So what I'm probably going to do is cut my stock springs with my brother to lower my car until I purchase the eibach kit. Have a couple buddies who have done it and my brother who has done it to various vehicles. From what I understand it should be ok as long as I don't heat the spring up so it keeps its temperment. Just wanting peoples input and thoughts on this bc I'm curious as to what people will say bc I have personally never done it. :cool:

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#3 ·
I'm hoping it will go off with out to much trouble but we will see lol

#5 ·
Lol I would get them but I don't need the struts bc I bought and installed new ones already and 200 is to much lol

#6 ·
200 is not to much the springs are like new! springs on e-bay new are 200-250 and new struts at autozone are around 100 a piece thats not counting the strut mount or spring compressor to install the springs

#7 ·
I know. I already bought and installed new struts. Therefore they would be a waste of money for me. Plus I'm buying a set of lowering springs for 130 plus shipping. So that's a big difference lol thanks though for offering them :beer:

#9 ·
im buying them from someone. canuck springs. supposed to be about a 1.75" drop

#11 ·
Cut springs will make the ride quite a bit more bouncy then getting lowering springs. You'll pretty much loose the progressiveness and the spring rate will get all messed up. Also I'm not sure how you would go about doing the rears because they have a little pigtail on each end of the spring.

See how the ends have a much smaller coil? I'm not sure how it would sit after you cut it off, If it would even sit straight. But I don't know much about cutting springs, My buddy does and said that wouldn't be much of an issue. He didn't elaborate.

But doing it as a temporary thing until you get your canucks may not be a bad idea, If you do it let us know how it works out! I'm definitely interested

#13 ·
It was just something I wanted to try for a little bit. I didnt do the back. Just the front. And only 1 coil. I'm not gonna do anymore. I'm buying a set of canucks from someone over on G6P so hopefully soon ill be able to get those. In a couple weeks or so. Jw though how much are the eibachs going for do you know?

#15 ·
That's how much there being sold over on G6P?? I know on most sites new that's how much they are.

#17 ·
i already cut the fronts a week or two ago. so thats out. and it rides perfectly fine. the backs are still stock height.im not to worried about selling them.

#18 ·
here is the info about the springs i have.............

I dont know the brand they were on the car when i bought them they are red color thats all i know lol they lowered the car abour 1.5".
the struts were also on the car and the car had 45k miles on it when i pulled the struts/springs. they are just sitting in my garage taking up room!!!!! make me a reasonable offer and i will see what i can work out for someone!

#19 ·
Where are you at?

#21 ·
It does. But the eibach kit is black from what I've seen. And the canucks are red.

#23 ·
yeah i already did it. dropped the front about an inch. looks better. and the ride didnt change much at all. just a little bit stiffer but not much. tucked the tire nicely with about an inch gap between fender and tire. have a pic in my progression from like 10 mins after i did it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.