Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked my service manager about this one, he wasn't really sure, and he forgot to tell me if he found anything. Figured I'd have a better chance of finding out here if it's a by-design thing or a problem.

Does anyone else's dash backlighting NOT turn on if you manually turn the switch to on AND it's not dark out? Normally, I wouldn't care. But the auto light sensor doesn't seem sensitive enough, and the other night, at dusk, I turned on my lights myself, and the backlight didn't come on...but it was a bit tricky to see. Eventually it did...but I don't know when...I just remember noticing it was on all of a sudden.

Is the lighting tied into the ALS and it won't turn on unless it's dark enough? Or is my lighting circuit screwy...thanks!

·
Registered
279 Posts
You are describing intended function. When you turn on lamps manually with switch but the auto light system thinks it is still bright out you get put into what is called "Parade Mode". The exterior lights come on as you command them. However what also happens is the emissive displays (radio, odometer, auto climate control) instead of "step dimming" like they do for nighttime driving stay at full intensity. Unfortunately the backlighting of switches and stuff like cluster remains off.

Called Parade mode because vehicles in a parade often turn on headlights during daytime (also vehicles in a funeral procession do same).

There isn't really anything a dealer can do about this condition - it is by design.

Actually there MIGHT be something they could try with their Tech 2 but it would result in those emissive displays "step dimming" as though it were nighttime and then you would probably be unhappy with that condition and say you can't see the radio display or the odometer. :p

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, at least it isn't just mine.

But next question -- is the sensitivity of the ALS system adjustable? It seems to wait TOO long sometimes to turn the lights on...and it turns them off too early sometimes...

·
Registered
142 Posts
that is an awsome question, my windows are tinted and it seems that it harder then all get out to see my display when its dusky out!

·
Registered
606 Posts
ragingfish said:
Ok, at least it isn't just mine.

But next question -- is the sensitivity of the ALS system adjustable? It seems to wait TOO long sometimes to turn the lights on...and it turns them off too early sometimes...
I'll trade your sensor for mine, 04 Malibu auto lights come on when the sun is still shinning.

·
Registered
279 Posts
ragingfish said:
is the sensitivity of the ALS system adjustable? It seems to wait TOO long sometimes to turn the lights on...and it turns them off too early sometimes...
It is not adjustable. The light sensor looks directly up into the sky and overcast sky conditions actually look bright to a light sensor.

I typically see opposite complaint during morning or late afternoon with clear sky conditions where the light sensor thinks it is dark out. However because you are looking at the horizon you see a lot of light from rising or setting sun.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think that this was one of the most piss poor ideas ever thought up, like I had said espeically if you have tinted windows and you can barely read your instrument panel!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I never turn my lights on or off, but it seems like my dash lights, and I guess the headlights are on more than they are off. It needs to be a really bright day for the ALS to turn the lights off.

Sometimes I have a hard time seeing the radio display because it is dimmed due to the dash lights being on when the ambient light is bright.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Now I've got a question for you G6 owners.

Is there an autolight off feature on the G6? Like, on my mothers 04 Trailblazer, I can override the autolamps, so they don't turn on when they arent necessary.

The Grand Am didn't have this feature, and it pisses me off.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I already posted this in another thread I think but yes the G6 has a 4 position headlamp switch (now common on many current GM vehicles). 4th position is momentary position which allows you to toggle auto lights (and DRL) OFF or back ON. It is momentary so that it only lasts for that ignition cycle.

Vehicles initial sold in Canada work slightly different because of legal requirements there for DRL.

·
Registered
606 Posts
e2helper it should be so that you can turn the head lights off but leave the DRL on, the way it is now all or nothing. When I want them off I go to parking even though I don't want my tail lights on, but I want to be seen.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Not sure I understand exactly what you are trying to do but you do have quite a bit of flexibility with lighting.
Leave auto light control enabled which operates DRL (reduced intensity low beam headlamps) during daytime and full headlamps/parking/tail lamps at night.

Turn off auto light control to disable DRL during the day and head/park/turn lights at night

Reenable auto light control at any time with same ON/OFF switch

Turn the headlamp switch to park lamp position which just turns on the park and tail lights keeping off the headlamps.

Turn on full headlamp, park/tail lamps during the day by using the manual headlamp switch
As I mentioned above some of these modes are not available on Canadian vehicles

·
Registered
12 Posts
I really don't like my car not doing what I tell it to so I cover up the photo cell on the dash to give me control of the lighting. That way I trick the car into thinking it's nighttime all of the time and the dash lights always come on when I turn the headlamps on.

I agree this is a pretty lame design and someone at GM needs to revisit the settings of the automatic backlighting system.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I went to the dealership about the problem I was having with the autoheadlamps NOT coming on when they should (until it is almost completely dark out) and coming on in full bright sunlight when they shouldn't and they hooked up the good ol' TECH 2 to the car and there wasn't a "flash" update so the mechanic scratched his head and said he couldn't find any problem... Well DUH, a few days ago when I started a similar thread, I mentioned that the service writer saw with his own eyes, my car sitting outside in bright sunlight with the headlamps (not the DRL) on. He didn't have anything to say other than admitting that he saw it himself.

Whatever happened to the day that if something isn't working correctly-- you replace a part, is everything dependant on what the heck a piece of diagnostic equipment says or doesn't say?
ATTENTION:==================
Also, calling all '05 G6 sedan owners, Do your headlights automatically turn on soon after the wipers are turned on or NOT? (the 04 Grand Prix I had did) If they do then I have a second problem that TECH 2 didn't code. The service department isn't sure if they are supposed to or not. :mad:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Bob G said:
Also, calling all '05 G6 sedan owners, Do your headlights automatically turn on soon after the wipers are turned on or NOT? (the 04 Grand Prix I had did) If they do then I have a second problem that TECH 2 didn't code. The service department isn't sure if they are supposed to or not. :mad:
Of course, they could familiarize themselves with vehicle by referring to the owner manual - page 3-9 or so. :p My 2005 G6 turns on headlamps with wipers - think this subject came up in another post

·
Registered
113 Posts
heh, e2helper, I guess I should familiarize myself first, yes you did say that yours did but then I had some doubt when you stated
At least that is how my 2005 G6 works
:eek:
It all falls back to the old addage which you state: "read the manual" :D
I will point that out to them, and maybe tell them to dump the TECH 2 in the garbage :rolleyes:

Thanks again...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts