Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I'm working on my GF's car and have been using this website for the few problems we've had on it. So far I've been able to get all my answers on here but this new problem has me stumped nor can I find a solution for it.

When trying to start her car the dashboard lights flicker and the car turns over but it sounds like it's having an issue starting. The CD play does not go through the CD's, no error's,...it starts but it takes a couple extra cranks to get it to turn over. Everything seems okay but I know this is leading to another possible issue.

~I've cleaned and tightened terminals on the battery and will be checking all the grounds and making sure they are clean and tightened down as well.

~I hear the fuel pump turning on

~No error messages appear

~Ran the diagnostics tool and get no error's.

This I will try is to charge the battery while I'm cleaning things and see if it'll help but in the mean time if anyone has had this problem and know a solution I'd be happy to hear the solution. Also any suggestions would be helpful. thanks in advance

·
Registered
556 Posts
Not sure, but you may need a new starter...

JT

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I got it resolved but I told my GF to let me know if it comes back. I just let the battery sit on the charger until it was full again and also cleaned all the grounds (they were not bad but I had a VW that was having electrical problems and it was bad grounds so I'm going off the same idea).
Once I did all this and put the battery back in it fired right up on the first crank. I'll post again if it comes back. We do have issues with this car draining the battery rather fast. Is this typical for a G6?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I haven't had any issues with battery drain. Is she leaving a phone charger or anything plugged in? That could b one explanation.....

Glad to hear u got the problem resolved tho.

JT

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I think I got it resolved but I told my GF to let me know if it comes back. I just let the battery sit on the charger until it was full again and also cleaned all the grounds (they were not bad but I had a VW that was having electrical problems and it was bad grounds so I'm going off the same idea).
Once I did all this and put the battery back in it fired right up on the first crank. I'll post again if it comes back. We do have issues with this car draining the battery rather fast. Is this typical for a G6?
You can have that batt load-tested for free anywhere they are sold.

No car should be drawing more than 50mA from the batt after the computers go to sleep. It's possible you have a parasitic current drain but you would need to know how to use a DMM with DC current testing to check.

These are pretty useful:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3721-Battery-Charging-Monitor/dp/B000EVWDU0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1318799549&sr=8-8[/ame]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
We've already done a load test on the battery a few months ago and it passed the test. I do know how to work a DMM but to find a current drain on this car is like a needle in a hay-stack because it's almost all electronic now. Where would you suggest I check? Just go straight to the battery and then wiggle my way to the problem?

***EDIT: JTS, she's your typical techno girl. she has the radio on all the time and always has something in the charger. If the AC's not on then the heat is. She commutes an hour to work/school so I would think the long drive would keep the battery healthy but I could be wrong. When I get time I'll run through the electrical schematics on this car and start tracing if there is a current leak but I'll know for sure if it the signs come back again this next week or so. Thanks for the help anyway.***

·
Registered
1 Posts
We've already done a load test on the battery a few months ago and it passed the test. I do know how to work a DMM but to find a current drain on this car is like a needle in a hay-stack because it's almost all electronic now. Where would you suggest I check? Just go straight to the battery and then wiggle my way to the problem?

EDIT: JTS, she's your typical techno girl. she has the radio on all the time and always has something in the charger. If the AC's not on then the heat is. She commutes an hour to work/school so I would think the long drive would keep the battery healthy but I could be wrong. When I get time I'll run through the electrical schematics on this car and start tracing if there is a current leak but I'll know for sure if it the signs come back again this next week or so. Thanks for the help anyway.
Did you figure out this issue? I have been working on my 2006 g6 and driven the same way and one would think that battery would stay charger. Maybe the alternator is starting to fail? The car has 200K on it and not much have been changed on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts