Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just checking if this is a good deal or not, I have been looking for a car for MONTHS (ever since my grand am was totaled) I found a deal I think (it was just listed on autotrader.com).

Below are the specs:
2006 G6 Grey
4 door
2.4L, 4Cyl.
4 speed automatic
43K miles
Clean title (didnt purchase carfax yet but I did a free vin search and it came back clean on the total loss records)
PRICE- 8K

So how does it sound? Didnt check it out in person yet, I plan to do that today.

The insurance gave me $7,738 for my 2004 grand am with 70K miles on it, so this would cost me a net total of about $262 (plus tax)

PS- vin number is VIN- 1G2ZF55B664194665

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you're all about fuel economy, I'd say go for it, but if not, I'd also go for the V6.

The price seems fair though. My G6 acquisition was unique as I did a straight trade with a buddy to get my GT coupe (3.5L) and wasn't specifically looking at G6's at that time, but now, I'd like to get a GXP coupe with the 3.6L for the extra ponies. I'm not saying that you should get a GXP, but at least look for a GT (if fuel savings is not a priority). Either way, good luck!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Check it out. Drive it. Make sure its not a 6-speed auto with tap-shift.

My lady has a V6 but I wouldnt trade my 2.4 for her car anyday.

uploadfromtaptalk1323096579352.jpg

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was looking at kelley blue book and saw its worth alittle over 9K. Since I can get it for 8K, its atleast $1,000 savings.

Then I clicked the "view cars in my location" button and I saw there was a 2007 G6 GT (v6) in my area for $8,988. I was looking at the car a while back (online) but it was priced too high, it was just recently reduced to that price.

The only con (besides lower mpg) is it has 62K miles on it (the 06 V4 had 43K miles on it).

KBB says its value is in the 12K range, which means this would be atleast $3,000 in savings. Guess I am gonna have to go see them both.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Check it out. Drive it. Make sure its not a 6-speed auto with tap-shift.

My lady has a V6 but I wouldnt trade my 2.4 for her car anyday.

View attachment 2619

Why not trade? Not a power hungry person like most of us are? :p

I was looking at kelley blue book and saw its worth alittle over 9K. Since I can get it for 8K, its atleast $1,000 savings.

Then I clicked the "view cars in my location" button and I saw there was a 2007 G6 GT (v6) in my area for $8,988. I was looking at the car a while back (online) but it was priced too high, it was just recently reduced to that price.

The only con (besides lower mpg) is it has 62K miles on it (the 06 V4 had 43K miles on it).

KBB says its value is in the 12K range, which means this would be atleast $3,000 in savings. Guess I am gonna have to go see them both.
Definitely go for the 2007 G6 GT if you can. The 2007 G6 also has a warranty up to 100k miles compared to the 2006 which has a warranty to 36k so the 2006 is already out of warranty (IIRC). If you are after economy and not power, then get the 2006 G6, but most people regret getting the 4 cylinder and would rather have the v6 since the power is fun to drive.

·
Mr. Steal Your Girl
59 Posts
i agree ive driven them all and ILOVEMYGXP!!!!!!! its peppier in my opinion plus even dirty it looks good :) and its a nice daily for sure very comfy and they come with upgraded springs and handle like a dream

·
Mr. Steal Your Girl
59 Posts
but ay the 4cyl. defiantly has ALOT less power than the v6 3.6 or 3.9 not hating on the 3.5's but there is a noticeable difference

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ive got to say that my 2.4 is faster than some may think. Im one up on a GT from these forums. I dont know if its the 6-speed or what but I have power. On the other hand, I do spend less $ per gallon of gas than most, as well as get better mileage. Thats why I wouldnt trade.

·
Registered
108 Posts
From a stoplight. He had me till the end of 2nd gear, then I crept up and passed him. I was running through the gears with the tapshift and I believe he was in standard automatic.

·
Registered
556 Posts
From a stoplight. He had me till the end of 2nd gear, then I crept up and passed him. I was running through the gears with the tapshift and I believe he was in standard automatic.

I seen this happen. He did beat him. J was in auto I believe he said when we all stopped.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi, thanks for all the replies. Here is what ended up happening (sorry its a long one):

Monday I called up the dealership who was selling the base unit. They told me that the car is getting the filters changed and also getting detailed so it wont be available till Tuesday. Both dealerships were located in RI (the state) so figured I mise well go to see both at the same time rather than making two trips. I did not have a car to borrow on Tuesday so I didn’t call them or anything until Wed. I opened the autotrader webpage to get the phone number of the dealership and I noticed now the price was listed at 9k. Two days prior I had seen it listed at 8K (when I originally posted this topic). I called them to ask about the price but before I could even ask, they told me that the G6 had sold the day before but they have other cars on their website.

So I figured that’s it, I guess I will call that other dealership and go test drive the GT. I called them and they told me that it had also sold!

I have been thinking about it all day how I missed two great deals and have spent hours looking up more cars in my area with no luck on finding such a deal. Then around 4pm the G6 base dealership called me back and said the financing fell through with the person who was going to buy it so it is once again available. I went down right away to test drive it and I loved it. So then I asked them about the price because on Monday he confirmed it was $8,000 but now on autotrader.com and cars.com the prices say $9,000. He said it was an error, it was supposed to go out originally as 9K but the person who listed it put it at 8K. They said since I saw it at 8K they will honor that price however.

So I looked it over (in the dark, they had lights on but it was still dark outide) and noticed the drivers glass window had some scratches in it (my old grand am had tons of scratches from rolling it up and down). So they said they will deduct $200 and they will sell it to me for $7,800 due to the glass defect. I also signed a sales agreement saying subject to my mechanics inspection and I put $170 down for a deposit. I am going to see if my mechanic can check it over tomorrow (well today technically).

Only two slightly suspicions things.

1.One of the door panels was not fully assembled and they said that is because they are putting a new speakers in because the speaker crackles. It had not been fully installed yet (but the speaker was disconnected). They said they are installing it in the morning and it will be done before my mechanic checks it out.

2.When you first hit the gas (to get the wheels rolling), the car made a very low bump noise, sounded like it was from the front end. The sales guy said they are also fixing that in the morning, they just have to install the part. I asked what the part Is and he said he isn’t sure cus hes only the salesman but the people who work in the garage know what it the part is (they weren’t there since it was like 7 pm). Now to me that sounds suspicious just a bit but they do have four huge dealerships throughout the state so that may be true, so maybe he didn’t know what the problem was but its suspicious since he knew the problem existed.

They are going to finish working on the bump sound and have the speaker installed by noon so hopefully my mechanic can check it out around noon time. So does any ideas on that the bump can be?

Ps- I checked the dealership rating on a few sites and they seem to have great reviews. I also purchased a carfax record a few hours ago and it shows 13 service records, absolutely nothing about any accidents. The only thing it failed a few years ago was a safety check, and it was re tested later that same day and it passed so was probably something like a windshield wiper or something. Due to that, the cars value is $10 (yes ten dollars) below retail book.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I believe you are correct Lampoon.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I've got the 2.4 with the 4 speed auto. And after a WAMS tune it's really still pretty great. Mileage went up a little bit, and it's peppier, but I do have to buy premium gas now...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts