Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
iz Jared
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I wash my car pretty well... Use Meguirs which is IMHO pretty decent stuff.

However I want to do a good detail job on poor Angel. I have heard of Claybar stuff, but never done it. Can someone explain it to me... Is it just basically a wax?

Also not sure if this is the right section but it was the closest I could come up with.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Moved to Detailing.

Clay bar is the process of using predesigned clay bars in combination with a lubricant to skim the clay across the top of the paint to lift up.

Browse here for more details and videos:
http://www.meguiars.com/howtocenter/

There are so many websites dedicated to detailing cars that its ridiculous. Just google your question.

·
08 G6 GT
95 Posts
Claybars are a most own IMO. Just make sure you keep them wet while using it. I use a claybar + Speed shine, works wonders. Get it, your car will thank you.

Combo pack here

·
Registered
278 Posts
Autogeek.net will have videos and Griot's Gararge also has videos. I use Griot's, a little expensive, but well worth it. i have tried ALOT of other products. If you can not find the aswer your looking for just PM me and i'll be more then happy to give you advice.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Wow, 40 bucks for a kit? I get them for $15 from Meguiars.

·
Registered
278 Posts
ya, but it is far different. My last car was a black caddy and it was a true pain in the ass keeping clean. I learned alot. Once you try their speed shine, you will be hooked. Their clay is completly different aswell. Well worth it. It's like buying cheap tires and expecting performance. Plus if you ever call Meguires....well they are ok to deal with, the guys at Griot's....are great! I went to a tech lesson about a month ago and it reallt sealed the deal. you can't go wrong.

·
iz Jared
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, how the devil does this stuff work? It's a clay that is a sand paper? or something?

Yes I am a total noob about this crap, I don't know ANYTHING about it.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts

·
iz Jared
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What....no......it is clay. you slide it across the paint and it picks up crap off the paint.
Autotopia said:
Clay removes above-surface bonded contamination through the mechanical action of the clay bar rubbing against the vehicle surface. Detailing clay abrades the contamination, wearing it down in some cases, as a result of this mechanical action.
This sure sounds a lot like a sand paper to me...

·
08 G6 GT
95 Posts
Yes Griots kit is expensive but once you use it you won't go back to anything else. You get what you pay for with them.

I mean the best you for anyone to get an opinion on them is to try their stuff on your own. Claybar is a must have for anyone who loves their car.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Clay barring does very very little abrasion to the paint (in a good way). You won't have to worry about ruining the paint unless you don't keep the lubricant applied. The lubricant between the clay bar and paint prevents that contact while also picking up contaminants on top of the paint.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts