Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone i have a pontiac g6 2008 sedan 3.5L and the rims i have atm on my car are 17x7. I just baught new wheels for my car for summer ( as atm its winter and im running on winter tires and rims ). The wheels i baught are 17x8. Canadian tire told me tires should fit and that the most important is the 17" diameter. Now im not too sure bout this lol i just want to make sure. What is the difference between 17x7 wheels and 17x8 wheels? is there a speedometer difference? or a handling difference?

·
Fried like a Cheese Stick
1,035 Posts
The 7 vs. 8 just refers to the width of the wheel (7 inches vs. 8 inches). Doesn't make a bit of difference speedometer wise (that would only be if you got different diameter tires).

The two issues are tire fitment and offset. If you were putting these on your stock tires you don't want to go a lot wider or the tires wouldn't fit right. One inch or even 1 1/2 inch is OK, but any more than that could be a problem. So you're OK there.

As far as offset, that's something that I don't know a lot about but it has to do with how the wheels are mounted on the tire and affects how far they "stick out" in the wheel well. AFAIK if you had the exact same offset on the 17x8's as the 17x7's they would stick out an additional inch from stock, so you might want to have that adjusted. On my Grand Prix the stock wheels really needed to stick out more so I believe the offset was left close to the same when I went from 17x6.5 to 17x8 :D with my aftermarket wheels(had a trained professional install them so I don't know the details).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts