Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the difference? My g6 has a 4t65e trans and it needs replaced I found a good deal on a 4t45e with low miles. Can they be swapped? Is the gear ratio the same? Are the axle splines the same? I'm not much of a transmission guy and can't find any info on this the only thing I know is they look pretty much identical from the time I had to look at it the only difference I could find was the numbers on the I.d tag on them. Any information would be appreciated. :confused:

·
Registered
447 Posts
IIRC the bellhousing between the two is identical, the internals are different though, one handles more torque. However, if you switch transmissions you are likely going to have to get your TCM/PCM re-programmed for the new transmission. I didn't even know the G6 came with the 4t65, did you check your RPO codes to make sure which tranny you have?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Are you sure, don't why they would put a high torque trans in that small engine.
The 4T45E is mated with all 2.4 engines.
I think the dealer gave you wrong information.

·
Registered
447 Posts
OP post a picture of your RPO code sticker from the glovebox, not saying you don't have a 4t65, but the RPO codes will tell you for certain...

·
Registered
447 Posts
Transmission looks to be a 4t45 not a 4t65, the broadcast code is 6EWJ which is the 4t45 IIRC. FWIW transmission was built on Oct 26, 2005 lol... But post the RPO sticker from the glovebox and we can double check the transmission...

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yupp you have a 4t45 for sure! The rpo code MN5 is for the 4t45 (you would have M15 instead if it had a 4t65). FX2 code means the transmission has a final drive ratio of 3.91, not sure if that matters. Other transmission you were looking to buy looks to be a 4t45 as well...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where are you guys deciphering these rpo codes I seem to have lost the link to where I have done it before

·
Registered
447 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
I was checking the RPO information and the tranny id information from a factory service manual though, only engine that had the 4t65 was the 3.9l...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So that other trans must have a different gear ratio because according to my auto zone app the part number for that trans is different from the one for my car

1 - 20 of 37 Posts