Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My sister has a G6 that out of warranty and need to have the rotor, caliper, and pad replaced for all four wheels. The mechanic quote was ~$700 for the parts. My question is, is there a better choice beside OEM parts in this case? She has a 2007 G6 Sedan V6 not sure if its a GT or not, but its not a GXP for sure.

·
Registered
911 Posts
ebay's brand Brakemotive...heard good things on this board and other boards about this brand and its relatively cheap. not sure where you'll find the calipers, try pfyc.com or partstrain.com

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
Yes...you can upgrade the rotors and pads for around $250 or so and they are easy cheesy to replace. The Caliper has an upgrade in that the 08+ Cobalt SS brembo fits the G6. So far it is the only front upgrade for the caliper that we know of.
You can replace the rear with the rear Cobalt brakes but its about the same as your stock and requires a line change as well.
That being said I am doing the caliper upgrade now....fun fun fun!! lol

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Yeah, just get the Brakemotive rotors and whatever else pads you wish because anything will be cheaper than $700 for parts.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
There are all kinds of brake pads at your local auto store. Just make sure they are ceramic.

Here is a link to your calipers: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1433574&parttype=1704

Read up on what RockAuto means by core charge. It will make the total price cheaper in the end.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Pretty sure the G6 has the same caliper size across all trim sizes and years. The front and rear sizes are different though.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don't know about the where, but I can't for the life of me think WTH calipers need replaced unless it has been parked on a field for years or someone put something into the fluid they shouldn't have. I doubt either of those happened, so I guess shopping is cool, but it just seems a little odd to need calipers - ever.

All the above are fine sources, but...do you really need them?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know about the where, but I can't for the life of me think WTH calipers need replaced unless it has been parked on a field for years or someone put something into the fluid they shouldn't have. I doubt either of those happened, so I guess shopping is cool, but it just seems a little odd to need calipers - ever.

All the above are fine sources, but...do you really need them?
I think the mechanic might be trying to rip her off, but since I haven't seen the problem myself I can't be sure of anything. The car was getting random brake judder while braking, I was just think the rotor need to be refinished or replaced at most but the mechanic said otherwise. She will go to a GM certified service center to get it check out too soon.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
I was questioning the caliper replacement too. Just get new rotors and brake pads. At least if those fix the problem then you won't need to buy new calipers. Don't even go to the dealership unless you can get it checked for free. They might just charge you up the butt for just checking the brakes.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
Yeah...they are poking her.

GM rotors on these cars are notorious for warping. Mine did at around 45k miles.
All you really need is a resurface and your good to go for a bit longer.

If you dont wanna mess with it for a good while...replace the rotors & add new pads.

I Replaced my rotors with R1's and some Akebono ceramic pads at ~45k miles.

I now have over ~130k and am replacing most of it again. Worked good till one overheated recently and that put air in the line ...then a deal on the Caliper upgrade fell in my lap.

Soooo all new stuff on mine coming up but yeah....go somewhere else.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
I don't even recommend resurfacing the rotors. Most of the time it costs more than just buying brand new rotors.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think the mechanic might be trying to rip her off, but since I haven't seen the problem myself I can't be sure of anything. The car was getting random brake judder while braking, I was just think the rotor need to be refinished or replaced at most but the mechanic said otherwise. She will go to a GM certified service center to get it check out too soon.
There isn't a whole lot of rocket science too pads and rotors. Maybe 2 on a 5 scale. I'd start there. This estimate is what we call 'shotgunning', pretty much like a shotgun, something is going to hit the problem and solve it.
Typically when a caliper goes bad it sticks, either it doesn't retract, and you get overheating and a pull, or it won't extend, same result different physical method. That all four do it at the same time would be quite the feat.

Like fixing a sink, you might need a washer or replace the whle thing. Me, don't have money to burn, so I do the small stuff first. Start out with the rotors, if the pads are suspect, or worn do those as well. (If they checked the brakes, you should have gotten measurements for the pads.) Determining rotor run out requires a little bit of work that may be costly, and then the charge to machine, like others said, so it may be cost effective to just put them on and call it a day.
If it continues, consider the calipers.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
If you replace the rotors, you should just go ahead and replace the brake pads too. Not doing so could result in brake squealing (or so I heard).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts