Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 G6 GT Sedan 3.5L VL LX9
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to switch to LEDs in many places, maybe one day all locations. But review after review for every type of LED bulb I find, has comments about poor life. So many people saying they don't get even 1 year from LED bulbs for bulbs they normally get 2+ years from a regular bulb. And even more that claim only 3 to 6 months.

And with so many LED threads, I can't find any that talk about time tested LED bulbs here. Any one hear find LED bulbs that actually last 2+ years? Especially cluster/dash bulbs and exterior headlight/turn/side bulbs?

My other search issue is brightness. While I don't mind brighter exterior bulbs (except the license plate), I don't want brighter interior bulbs. I would really like to be as close to OEM bulb brightness for my interior dash/map/dome etc. Example, the OEM 561 dome light is 151 lumens and the OEM 168 map/front lights are only 38 lumens, both 2800K color. But all the LED bulbs I find for these are 400 to 600+ lumens. And usually 6500K which is way too blue on the white spectrum.

1. Any one actually get 2+ years of life from their LED bulbs? Interior, exterior? What brand?
2. Any one find OEM brightness interior LED bulbs?
3. And finally color. Anyone find interior bulbs that do both above AND come in a color between 4000-5000K?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Personally I have had a lot of luck with non OEM LED's I'm sure opinions will vary from person to person, But I purchased a set of hi and low beam over a year ago and they are still going strong, no change in brightness or color. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally I have had a lot of luck with non OEM LED's I'm sure opinions will vary from person to person, But I purchased a set of hi and low beam over a year ago and they are still going strong, no change in brightness or color. Hope this helps.
Thanks. Do you know what brand of headlight High beam and low beam LEDs you have? The color typically is way more white-blue than halogen bulbs. Which can be ok for headlights and exterior bulbs.

Also, do your LED headlights work with your stock DRL lights?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great. I just found out the three 912 bulbs used in the 3rd brake light, are not simply a wedge socket you push the 912 bulb into. Instead it's like an old style Christmas bulb where you have to bend the bulb wires straight out and then after you push it into the old socket, you bend the wires into a slot that holds the wire for a connection. What a pain for something that should be so standard and easy. And the worst part is now I can't just buy typical 912 LED bulbs because I haven't seen any with wires you can bend out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Headlamp LED's made from Cree components get a lot of good press.
It's the "blue" high wattage halogen bulbs you need to avoid - they last about a year if it double duties as a DRL.
I found several 912 LED bulbs with the wire base - need to google better :)
912 LED's click me

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Headlamp LED's made from Cree components get a lot of good press.
It's the "blue" high wattage halogen bulbs you need to avoid - they last about a year if it double duties as a DRL.
I found several 912 LED bulbs with the wire base - need to google better :)
912 LED's click me
Thanks. At least those 912/921 LED bulbs have wires that look like they might bend enough to work in the stock twist sockets. Though they don't look like they will last long with Arizona heat. I looked again at reviews and I simply can't find any LED headlights and most LED exterior bulbs where people aren't complaining about bulbs dying in a few months or 1 year at best.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It is heat that kills them sealed inside the headlamp housing. I'd look for ones that have a fan in the base. It's hard to find show and functionality in the same item.
For the headlights you may want to consider a projector housing. Search my other posts. I posed a picture of my car in a thread about them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts