Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, a lot of you G6ers have CAI on the G6s, can any of you tell me what differences you've experienced?
Let me know what engine you have and what CAI you installed.
Thanks!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Hey folks, a lot of you G6ers have CAI on the G6s, can any of you tell me what differences you've experienced?
Let me know what engine you have and what CAI you installed.
Thanks!!!!!!!
I have the 3500 V6, I installed the CAI from Injen. I like it a lot! It is pretty loud though. When you slam on the accelerator it gets pretty loud!

I get about 3-4 more mpg and about a 9 hp boost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I need help

Hey everyone this is my first forum ever pretty sweet, i have a 07 G6 i want to install a cold air intake but not sure what to do. hit me back

·
08 G6 GT Owner
15 Posts
I have a 2008 G6 GT, V6 with a 3.5L Engine. I was told to install a K&N filter instead of a more expensive CAI. I get the same results as the one above. 3-4 extra MPG and about 8-9 extra horse's. Cost me only 60 bucks, it does not make the car sound louder however, but I still like it anyway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey there g6 pplz! Now I havent seen an install pic of a CAI! But I would like to see a few pics if you dont mind! Im really curious to see where the filter sits at! Reason being is cause of "heat soak" which is if you dont know or mind me say hot air going into the filter! that is very common on "SRI" Short Ram Intake! and with heat soak your actually losing power with heat going into the engine!!!! But if you can pleaze take pics so we can see whats hwat and i could tell you if it is or not making you any bit of a difference!

ps!!!! if you havent already, it would be best to get a ecu flash/tune to get the full potential out of any performance parts/mods you make!

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
I have a 2008 G6 GT, V6 with a 3.5L Engine. I was told to install a K&N filter instead of a more expensive CAI. I get the same results as the one above. 3-4 extra MPG and about 8-9 extra horse's. Cost me only 60 bucks, it does not make the car sound louder however, but I still like it anyway.

YOU GO BOB!!

Hey there g6 pplz! Now I havent seen an install pic of a CAI! But I would like to see a few pics if you dont mind!

Sure...here are a few: Clicky here

·
Registered
292 Posts
A different hood?

I feel as though this is a stupid question, but I need clarification as I could really find a good answer anywhere else on the forum. Do you need a different hood with a air scope when you put in a CAI like the CRAB or K&N for it to be affective. Wouldn't that be similar to RAM air? Without a hood scope wouldn't you just be using 'warm' air from around the engine?

·
5,348 Posts
I feel as though this is a stupid question, but I need clarification as I could really find a good answer anywhere else on the forum. Do you need a different hood with a air scope when you put in a CAI like the CRAB or K&N for it to be affective. Wouldn't that be similar to RAM air? Without a hood scope wouldn't you just be using 'warm' air from around the engine?
The Crab Intakes Cold Air Box is in essence a heat shield that uses your quarter and hood to make a box.
It enables you to put on a quality filter and block the radiant heat from your engine. It is fed cold air from underneath-
With all the intakes out there you would still need to remove your old one which means also removing the resonator in the quarter panel. That will unblock your 4" round hole in your quarter and allow the airflow to enter the front and fill the quarter, with the air exiting up top into your box. You can even funnel it from the bottom of your car up to your box like a snorkel to make a lower ram air without a hood. :cool:
Do a search on google for "G6 Tiger Crab" and read a free How To all about that!
The neat thing about the CRAB (Cold Ram Air Box) is that Eric who owns MPD altered his ram air hood to funnel the air to fit it. Soooo should you get a hood it will funnel it right to your box for true ram air.
Without a hood scoop you are using your air that goes into your quarter from up front. You will see, feel and hear an improvement in both performance and MPG's. It is obviously better to have rammed air from a snorkle or hood but it is not needed for a big improvement.
The CRAB CAB was originally designed without the ram air feature.

Clear as mud?

Same applies to the other intakes....I just happen to know allot about crabs cause I have them....AND THEY ITCH!!!! :D

Ask any questions you want...thats why we are here.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thanks Lampoon

clear as mud! excellent explanation, I'm glad I asked. Now I just need to convince myself weather its worth it to install one of your sweet CRAB intakes on my car with its 140 000km and all.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Conversions

Im not good at the conversion but I have 87,000 miles on mine. :eek:
You must be damn good with conversions! 140 000km equals almost exactly 87 000 miles. hmm do I sense a salesman trying to sell his CRABs hehe! The difference is that you've probably gotten close to 80 000 miles with your intake in it as well!

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hmm do I sense a salesman trying to sell his CRABs hehe! The difference is that you've probably gotten close to 80 000 miles with your intake in it as well!
I searched for Crab intakes on youtube, they have some cool footage.

·
5,348 Posts
Actually I dont have to be a salesman. If I include labor I make enough off
one of these things to buy a hamburger. Its just a hobby. I have a more than full time job...Im just a Pontiac enthusiast who loves the G6 and enjoys tinkering and making things. ;)

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
My CAI (made by Injen) goes down into the wheel well so it's a little further away from the heat of the engine and it gets cooler air by being closer to the opening in the front of the car.

·
5,348 Posts
Your forgettting something....being further away means the air is in the pipe for a longer period of time. Your talking 18-24" longer. :eek:

Which allows it to heat up more....

I just wish they had the battery on the other side with our intake on the drivers side by the TBI.....LIKE THE IMPALAS!!!

Oh well.....if wishes could come true Im sure I could find a better one. :D

1 - 20 of 122 Posts