Pontiac G6 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
smog test in california are mostly done on older cars. Ive had CRABS for a yr or maybe longer now and i havent had any problems with it. If anything you can just replace your original intake before testing but you shouldnt have any problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've noticed a little mid-range power (probably just in my head lol). Also, the engine sounds alot more throaty!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Air intake

The Crab Intakes Cold Air Box is in essence a heat shield that uses your quarter and hood to make a box.
It enables you to put on a quality filter and block the radiant heat from your engine. It is fed cold air from underneath-
With all the intakes out there you would still need to remove your old one which means also removing the resonator in the quarter panel. That will unblock your 4" round hole in your quarter and allow the airflow to enter the front and fill the quarter, with the air exiting up top into your box. You can even funnel it from the bottom of your car up to your box like a snorkel to make a lower ram air without a hood. :cool:
Do a search on google for "G6 Tiger Crab" and read a free How To all about that!
The neat thing about the CRAB (Cold Ram Air Box) is that Eric who owns MPD altered his ram air hood to funnel the air to fit it. Soooo should you get a hood it will funnel it right to your box for true ram air.
Without a hood scoop you are using your air that goes into your quarter from up front. You will see, feel and hear an improvement in both performance and MPG's. It is obviously better to have rammed air from a snorkle or hood but it is not needed for a big improvement.
The CRAB CAB was originally designed without the ram air feature.

Clear as mud?

Same applies to the other intakes....I just happen to know allot about crabs cause I have them....AND THEY ITCH!!!! :D

Ask any questions you want...thats why we are here.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
In my opinion, no. There always seems to be restrictions in the stock air box and in the resonator on our intakes. They're just made to be quiet and easy to change the filter. Go full tube intake with cone filter and a heat shield of some sort. CRABS is a good option. Really woke up the throttle response from the stock intake and sounds cool ;-)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone heard of Chrome Intakes? I have searched and only found Crab intakes and K&N 69 Typhoon really work with my 08 g6 gt 3.5L

·
Registered
2 Posts
When looking at intakes on the K&N site, they do not show an option for the 3.6L.....why is that? Which is the right one for my 09 GXP coupe? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Performance Upgrade

I've heard a Pontiac G8 upgrade works great. Just fork out the extra bucks for a real car! Rear wheel drive and a V8 is gonna knock the snot out of our G6's every time. Now if only I could convince my wife of this logical move I would be all set. That can be harder than coming up with the extra cash though.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
Please dont come to a G6 site and tell us how better the G8 is.
We understand the platforms and the differences.
How would I be received if I went on the G8 site and said how much better some other car is?
Actually there are quite a few better cars than a G8... lol

Anyways...your post was not helpful.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I've heard a Pontiac G8 upgrade works great. Just fork out the extra bucks for a real car! Rear wheel drive and a V8 is gonna knock the snot out of our G6's every time. Now if only I could convince my wife of this logical move I would be all set. That can be harder than coming up with the extra cash though.
Quit wasting our time

·
Premium Member
636 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wow! You guys are sensitive. It's not like I mentioned a Mustang or a Challenger. I love Pontiac cars and I'm bummed GM discontinued. They're better looking than the Chevy's IMO. I'm on my third Pontiac. I won't bring that up again.
But here is something for people to consider before upgrading to a CAI:

http://youtu.be/gCi2yo4UqPI

·
5,348 Posts
Thats not a G6. Those are foreign pieces of shit...

Holy cow dude.....stop pissing on everything.

You can get a dashhawk or anything that reads your IAT's via your OBDII port
and see what a good intake does. You can see it on a dyno and feel it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I know a mechanic that's rebuilt a Corvette from the ground up and this is the gist of what he told me:

He said he's never seen a noticeable improvement in power from any kind of intake.
He said since the factories started using "divorced" air boxes he can't recall seeing one that didn't do a better job of ensuring air from outside the engine compartment was routed to the engine compared to the so called " Cold Air Intakes".
He also said the biggest restriction in your intake is the throttle blade. A CAI can only help at WOT and in the upper rpm ranges. Anything less than WOT and everything in front of the throttle is not relevant.
I do research and ask trusted mechanics questions before I spend my money. My statement about the G8 was my way of saying somone may be better off spending their money on a RWD V8 instead of putting gobs of money on a FWD V6 or 4 Cylinder. More time spent enjoying, less time spent tinkering/pimping. I'm driving the G6 4 door sedan 3.5L. Certainly nothing to brag about on my part. But what's wrong with dreaming about owning a modern muscle car? Who wouldn't want to own one?
Sorry for pissing on your corn flakes. It's your money and your toy, spend as you please and enjoy. Maybe I'm just a killjoy. Maybe I should stop dreaming and enjoy what I've got.

·
5,348 Posts
It all depends on what you want.
I wanted a fun & spirited ride that I could also take my family in (comfortably).

Dont slam people for grabbing a couple of the best mods for their cars.
The G6 reacts to intakes, exhaust and tunes very well.
Does that make it a race car? no.
What it does is makes what you have just a bit more special.

When I wanted a race car I bought a Saleen.

As for intakes...there are a few out there that do so much it requires a retune.
If your talking to a Mechanic who says intakes dont do anything then your talking to
an idiot. Just because he is a mechanic doesnt mean he knows what he is talking about.
It means he knows lefty-loosey & righty-tighty. lol

If you dont like what you have then take your own advice and get what you want.
Cant afford it? Yeah.....welcome to the world, but dont begrudge someone wanting to put a 2.5" exhaust on their car, or getting a 93 octane race tune, or getting an intake.

Its a modification that makes driving their car that much more special.

No matter what you like Im sure I can find a youtube video saying its crap. lololol

·
Registered
54 Posts
Okay, so if I fork out $300 for one of your CAI systems how much of a performance boost can I expect? Do you have documentation/data to back it up?
What if a customer is not satisfied? Do you offer a refund or are they SOL?

·
5,348 Posts
Im not a vendor on this site. Sorry....all Crab Questions should be fielded to them
via their website. I look forward to your product review. :rolleyes:

81 - 100 of 122 Posts