Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Domino's Red G6!

7K views 32 replies 8 participants last post by  Chad67 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys! I haven't been much of a contributor to these boards, but I have used them for reference since I purchased my G6 a year a half ago. I own a 2006 G6 2.4L Sport Red Sedan. I haven't seen a lot of people (any that I'VE seen actually!) with a red sedan on these forums so I'm excited to be sharing it with you all!

My car has held up very well and I have had a lot of fun working on it!

Lucky for me, my 2.4L G6 was loaded with a lot of the premium options (remote start, premium steering wheel, nicer wheels, power pedals, etc.!) but it would still be my baby even without them!

My G6 when I brought her home in 2010

Here she is as of a week ago:

One of the first somewhat serious mods I did was replacing the stock headlights with some chrome Eagle Eyes. It took me a very long time to decide whether I wanted the chrome housed lamps or the black ones, but I figured the chrome would match better, and I didn't want an overly dramatic change to my headlights. Chrome it was!

Halos/Projectors... much better!

One of my best friends bought be a cheapo exhaust tip and after I somewhat jokingly put it on, I was actually pretty satisfied with the look haha.

He also bought me that $4 faux antennae fin that I spanked on there (perfectly centered, mind you!) and I actually like the look of that too

I also added some black/red floormats, a matching steering wheel cover, and I "recolored" the interior trim. I say recolored and not "painted" because I didn't paint them: I removed them (even the PITA shift plate), I sanded the original faux wood off of them, got a grayish color because it's black plastic, and then I coated them with a couple layers of lacquer to get a deep glossy black color. The pieces came out well!

Kind of a crappy picture and a crappy shot of the car but it works:

See less See more
#2 ·
Pioneer P3200DVD receiver:

JL Audio TR650-CSi woofers (and tweeters, not shown) (hard to see behind the plastic grill)

My failed attempt at showing the resonator delete without taking out the headlight (...it's just such a pain)

I assure you it's not in there. I ripped that bastard out with my hands and a dremel. I had to vacuum out all of the "resonator meat" for like 20 mins. Getting a K&N Drop in filter soon!

That's all for today! Next on my list: Get those calipers painted red, get the K&N filter, and I'm currently waiting for an OBD2 bluetooth adapter.

Thanks guys!

(I don't know why there's a streak across my hood in both pictures, it could have been a contrail reflecting)

#3 ·
Looks good! So you didn't paint your pieces just sanded them down and laquered?

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#7 · (Edited)
Looks good! So you didn't paint your pieces just sanded them down and laquered?
Yup! The three door handle trim pieces were very simple since they are pretty flat and such, sanding them wasn't an issue. I swear I'm slightly OCD though because if I saw one little hint of brown on them, I HAD to get rid of it. They honestly just look painted, but I don't have to worry about any black chipping off :D. For the driver side trim piece with the window controls etc, and the shift plate, I had to use a dremel to get into the little nooks. Kind of a pain, but like I said, they will never lose their color unless the lacquer wears off. The lacquer brought out a "wet" look, which I tended to like since I sanded the pieces wet. It's important that you finish sanding the pieces with a high grit paper though, so you can get a nice even look. Thanks!

i'm still on the fence with the chrome eagle eyes i think they would look awesome with eyelids were as the black you would't see them as much. i love what you've done so far keep up the good work
I agree! With your black G6 I would personally go with the black housing (I'm sure that's not the first time you've heard that), and that's only because I would like the look of them "blending in" to the rest of the car. When it comes to a red or blue car, it really depends on what you want to accent it with. My reasoning for the chrome was that it matched the outer chrome trim pieces, and it didn't look too different from stock. If I had black or dark gray wheels and got rid of the chrome trim pieces, I would have gone with the black headlights in a heartbeat. Thanks!

Thank you for the compliments guys!

I got the front two calipers painted and they came out great. Now I just need to bring myself to do the back two :rolleyes:

#9 ·
Thanks! I like my little fuel sipper. It still has plenty of go, and is especially fun when you destroy (and I mean destroy) the air resonator.

Well I painted the calipers yesterday! When I took these pictures I only had the front two done however, so I will post some more pictures when I get the chance.

#12 ·
I agree. The kit I bought was the cheaper duplicolor one from Pep Boys and it worked out for me. I don't know how well it will hold up but some touch ups down the road wont kill me. It will just give me an excuse to really clean my wheels anyway. It really does add to the car though, I really like it!

I am considering taking a trip to Autozone tomorrow to pick up a K&N drop in. I know the model I need (33-2315) and one of my local stores has some in stock. I just am wondering whether it's worth the $60ish: after the resonator delete, what more can I expect from my car with the k&n filter? I like the new deeper note I get at higher loads with the resonator gone, but will the k&n filter make even more of a difference? Thanks so much guys!

#13 ·
I painted my calipers with spray paint, High temp enamel. And I laid it on thick. Didn't really care about how perfect it looked. As long as it was all covered and shiny. haha

I never ran a drop in filter. I would think after the resonator delete, having the drop in filter should make some improvements. The K&N drop in as a much higher airflow rate compared to the paper type filters you would usually get. Plus if you plan to keep it this way for a while then it can pay for itself. Those K&N's are reusable, they just need to be cleaned.

#14 ·
Haha whatever works! It will be very simple if you ever feel the need to touch it up :D
As far as the K&N drop in goes, I am just skeptical because I don't want to spend $60 on it and then just want a CAI/tune. Obviously the filter will still be cheaper but I don't know. I mean in it really is a good investment considering it can be cleaned and it lasts practically forever. Meh I'll probably just end up getting one soon. Thanks for your input!

Took some crappy pictures of my car today with all 4 calipers painted. The cloudy outdoor lighting made it slightly difficult to see the calipers but they are quite visible in real life. One of my (somewhat ignorant) friends asked me if I got new brakes, and I just said "yes." At least someone is noticing without me pointing them out!

I also got my OBDII adapter in the mail yesterday and I hook it all up with Torque. It works very well, and I will use another camera to take some pictures of it in action. I placed my phone dock right next to my gauge cluster so I could easily reference it, however I am slightly concerned about visibility. No problems yet, but I might end up moving it.

Notice the adapter sticking out above the footwell. (Ignore the crooked and dirty floormat...)

Thanks guys!

#15 ·
I use to the torque app too. I love it! I often keep my phone on the dash sitting on the center vents.
very useful!
As for the intake. I didn't know you plan on doing the complete intake with tune.
If that's the case then it makes sense not to waste the money on a drop in.
I never did. I didn't even pull my resonator until I got my intake. But then I had to replace the stock intake for warranty work. That's when I ran it stock without the res.

If you were to spend the extra cash on an Injen intake for the cobalt. You would likely not have CEL issues, I think because that entire intake has a 2.5" diameter. Which is pretty much stock size.

I went cheap and got a cheap no name intake that I ended up customizing to work the way I want. :D

#17 ·
If you were to spend the extra cash on an Injen intake for the cobalt. You would likely not have CEL issues, I think because that entire intake has a 2.5" diameter. Which is pretty much stock size.

I went cheap and got a cheap no name intake that I ended up customizing to work the way I want. :D
Then I'm probably just better off sticking with the k&n filter since I want to avoid spending too much money, and I'd love to not have to worry about the CEL/tune.

Quick question, and perhaps this has been asked before, but do you think it's possible for Torque to get rid of the CEL that would be thrown if you used a different diameter/size intake? Or are there other issues rather than just an annoying CEL?

#19 · (Edited)
The cobalt intake I got fit perfectly. The only modifications that required was widening of the MAF sensor hole because it wasn't attached straight. Aside from that it fit right in without any problems.
It wasn't until I replaced part of it with a larger intake that I had more fitment issues.

I bought a cheap $75 intake off ebay, Wasn't as pretty as I wanted but oh well

Then I'm probably just better off sticking with the k&n filter since I want to avoid spending too much money, and I'd love to not have to worry about the CEL/tune.

Quick question, and perhaps this has been asked before, but do you think it's possible for Torque to get rid of the CEL that would be thrown if you used a different diameter/size intake? Or are there other issues rather than just an annoying CEL?
I used torque to clear the CEL every time it came on, but the next time you started the car it would come back on. Every time. without fail. Even after I cleared it and the light was off, If I went to pull codes that same code was still there. The only way I dropped the CEL was an insert I made to decrease the ID around the MAF. until I got my tune that is :D

#20 ·
Domino, she's looking nice...good luck man!!!
Thank you very much!

Gave it a bath today :D

Also decided to paint those black trim pieces red. I started with the back two only though, just incase I end up not liking it. I do though!

Thanks guys!

#22 ·
Thanks!

I've run into somewhat of a problem. I mentioned how I liked the trim pieces red, however the spraypaint just isn't drying/sticking properly. I've been spraypainting things for 4-5 years now, and I know that sounds weird but I used to be involved in many hobbies where spraypainting came into play. I've painted a lot of plastic but I guess I've always struggled to get it to bond fully. I am using Krylon "Bonds to Plastic" red paint, I re-sanded the trim pieces to get the lacquer off, I coated them evenly 2-3 times with large time intervals, and then coated them with lacquer as a protectant. It's not the lacquer that's not drying right, it's definitely the paint. Anyone have any suggestions?

#27 ·
I bought some of the promoter as well as some Duplicolor paint from Autozone earlier. Everything seemed to turn out better, but I'm letting them dry/cure a little more overnight before I install them. Plus I still have to redo the back two pieces since they are still wearing the old Krylon which is slightly more scarlet than the Duplicolor. I might coat all of the pieces in lacquer just to make them glossier and to add another protecting layer.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow once I get everything done/installed. Thank you very much P Magic for your help and for taking the time to run my issue by your painter, that means a lot! And thanks for your input as well, becksmerc :D

#30 ·
Finished the interior trim :D

After I was suggested promotor and duplicolor paint, I got both (I got Duplicolor Perfect Match as well):

And it came out pretty nice, and it dried very well.

I assure you the color match is perfect, but in this picture the trim piece caught the sun :rolleyes:

I also decided to just get the K&N drop in filter since I really don't have the money or time to spend on a CAI/Tune right now. I noticed a slight difference but honestly not much more after the resonator delete.

(Put that STOP sticker on the air box just in case some moron mechanic decides I need a new filter ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.