Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sons 2007 Pontiac G6 GTP was bogging down like it didn't want to go so i took it to the dealer they said it was both converters stopped up.It was out of warranty so one guy told me to knock the converters out same thing no change.Sometimes it runs fine but most it idles real ruff and it's like it cant get enough fuel to go. when you put it in gear it idles even worse.I have checked air filter its fine i have put fuel treatment in it still nothing.The check engine light is on but two dealers said it was cause of the converters being stopped up.I don't know what to do now if any of you guys know of anything i could try i sure would appreciate it a ton :confused:

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
how many miles are on the car? I'm pretty sure manufacturers are required to cover emissions components (I.E. Catalytic converter) for up to 80,000 miles. You can try to remove the cats and gut them completely. It'll sound loud, and the check engine light will still be one. And it won't pass emissions testing... but it should drive better

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
My sons 2007 Pontiac G6 GTP was bogging down like it didn't want to go so i took it to the dealer they said it was both converters stopped up.It was out of warranty so one guy told me to knock the converters out same thing no change.Sometimes it runs fine but most it idles real ruff and it's like it cant get enough fuel to go. when you put it in gear it idles even worse.I have checked air filter its fine i have put fuel treatment in it still nothing.The check engine light is on but two dealers said it was cause of the converters being stopped up.I don't know what to do now if any of you guys know of anything i could try i sure would appreciate it a ton :confused:
Do you mean that you have removed the cats already?

I would need to know the code/s that popped.

Cats are covered by the emissions warranty for 8yr/80K. Running without cats will cause the fuel system to run in perpetual open loop which will very dramatically reduce your fuel efficiency among other consequences.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Actually, all vehicles sold in the US since 1995 are at least 8/80 on the cats & the PCM/ECM.
I don't doubt that you know your stuff, but if you could provide a source then I would be glad to agree with you. That way if someone comes across this thread, they can print out the source as proof to the dealership that it is under warranty.

Edit:

Nevermind. Found the epa.gov reference to the federal regulation: http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt
Print this out, read it good, and go to the dealership.

Synopsis of the law:
http://james-clausen.suite101.com/car-and-truck-us-federal-emissions-warranty-a141930

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,352 Posts
I remember they changed the warranties back in 08 to be retro to 06 on, when everyone started doing the 100,000 mile warranty thing & GM wanted to compete.
They left out the 05's though. That kinda pissed me off cause you could buy a USED certified 06 and it would have the 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty. But they left off the 05's even if you bought the car new. WTF???

There isnt one thing on my 05 that is under warranty. lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
had the car to the GM dealer for service air bag. you were right they had no codes show up but told me the seat and two senors need to be replace $1100. but until I drive the car after the repairs there's not guarantee that would fits the problem? Air bag works when someone sats in the passenger seat ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do you mean that you have removed the cats already?

I would need to know the code/s that popped.

Cats are covered by the emissions warranty for 8yr/80K. Running without cats will cause the fuel system to run in perpetual open loop which will very dramatically reduce your fuel efficiency among other consequences.
Sorry to change the subject but I'd like to know if theres a manual way to pull out the codes from engine light??!! I used to be able to flick egnition key three times with my 04 dodge neon back in the day.. But not working on the 08 G6! Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I remember they changed the warranties back in 08 to be retro to 06 on, when everyone started doing the 100,000 mile warranty thing & GM wanted to compete.
They left out the 05's though. That kinda pissed me off cause you could buy a USED certified 06 and it would have the 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty. But they left off the 05's even if you bought the car new. WTF???

There isnt one thing on my 05 that is under warranty. lol
When I got my 08, 4 months ago now I recall reading 160 000 KMS or 5 years Powertrain warrantee, your right. But does that mean if your over that 5 year mark its over.. or JUST until it reaches 160.000 kms usually?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
These basic OBD2 code readers won't read all the codes your car can produce but it will read the most common ones.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan-MS300-OBD-II-Scan/dp/B001LHVOVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323200507&sr=8-1[/ame]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts