Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 G6 sedan, started noticing that the doors were not unlocking when putting the car in park, and the door lock switches wouldn't do anything. Then realized the back-up lights wouldn't come on in reverse. They would blink when using the key fob lock/unlock and that works to unlock the doors when the door switches don't work. Just had to go break into my car, the wife was letting it run and left the spare keys in her purse in the car and the doors randomly locked. Are these two problems related?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm not that familiar with these GM vehicles, being a MOPAR guy. But sounds like there may be a problem with the transmission range position switch. This from your comment of reverse lights not working when in gear and locks not functioning when put in park. Both of these systems get "signals" from this switch. I've only recently come to the GM side with the purchase of our 08 Sedan GT, and haven't even gotten a cheap haynes manual for the car yet.

·
Registered
88 Posts
And adding to what rebel65 has already said, the door locks and back-up lights are on separate, unrelated, fused circuits. If either works intermittently, the fuses are likely good. If the door switch wiring runs through the door jambs, check for frayed or broken wiring in those locations. If there's a back-up light switch on the transmission, check connections there too. Good luck. - Mark

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll look into the Neutral switch. Makes sense.I have a Haynes book out in thee garage. I'll see what's involved after work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well looks like I'll need a special little alignment tool just to install a replacement switch assembly. Looks like eBay has it for around $30...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well that's a GM for ya....;)
For the reverse light function did you try and "jiggle the shifter and see if the lights come on? I got to thinking that a sloppy shift cable end to the trans can cause similar alignment/engagement problems, might want to check the cable end on the trans.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts