Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have an '05 GT with about 2,500 miles. Love it!

I recently went through a high-end carwash (not the gas station kind) and for the following 12-15 hours had a real problem.

While I was driving, the door locks would suddenly unlock themselves. Also, the trunk would pop, by itself.

These actions did not happen simultaniously, nor did they happen with any regularity.

One thing I did notice was that they would not happen much while I was just cruising down the highway, but rather happen when I accelerate or decelerate rapidly, but they also happened while the car was turned off - creating a real security problem in the NY metro area where I live.

Obviously, something got wet in the car wash, and fixed iteself (so-to-speak) once it dried out.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Does anyone have any ideas as to what might have gotten wet and where?

I spoke to my salesman about the problem and his only suggestion was to mention it to the service personnel when I bring in the car for its first service.

Thanks,
Jon Berry

·
Registered
85 Posts
WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!

I had one in the strong rain this past weekend; no such problems! With ANY ca I would have it serviced immediately for this type of problem; electrical problems do not go away on their own.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Unfortunately that's one of the downsides of getting a brand new model of car. Some issues like that (parts that get wet, etc.) will probably creep up every once in a while.

I'd say mention it to your service rep next time you see them and ask where the control box for the remote keyless entry is (on the Grand Am it was under the rear shelf, between the speakers, maybe worth a shot to see if it's still there). If it looks like it's in a water drainage area wrap it in a plastic bag or put some sort of deflector over it to keep water from making it's way in there.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Welcome to the club Jon...I have to agree with these two you should get it in for service...the bumper to bumper warranty should cover it. :cool: ;)

·
Banned
25 Posts
There's a component in the drivers side door that controls the electrical impulses to the trunk release and your door locks. It it my educated guess that it's the component that got wet when going through the wash. Very possibly even jossled depending on the strength of the brushes and what not against the door.

I would have that component inspected and even replaced. If it was water, you don't want corrosion issues.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Neat ... I have to learn 'stuff' all over again :lol: ... my first thought was water but I had no idea where to start looking LOL

·
Registered
532 Posts
Picked up silver 05, 38miles... does the same thing..any solutions? Im taking it in monday for final paper signing and im not pleased about this.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hopefully it's a small fix, because having to jump out in the freezing cold to shut the trunk kinda sucks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
If it's anything like the Grand Am there's a switch on the trunk latch assembly to disable the remote opening of the trunk while you guys are waiting to have this fixed ;)

·
Registered
532 Posts
There is a GM Service Bulletin out for the new G6, they know about the locking/unlocking issue and until it is resolved the dealer is not supposed to attempt a fix on their own. I just have to live with it until they come up with a fix. :(

Thats the current information as of right now.

·
Registered
532 Posts
That would be helpful. :)

By the way the truck disable thing is on the G6 as well. However there is a problem with that... what good is keeping the truck shut when the doors unlock themselves. :(

They need to figure something out quick..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Please don't link away to other forums. We'd like to build our own knowledge base so we're not dependent on every other site out there for answers.

If you can please summarize the information on here. You're more than welcome to credit it to whoever wrote it ;)

·
Registered
532 Posts
I guess this is why the stang and Fbody comminuities have more resources available. I hope thats not how everyone here thinks we should be with things like this. Or I will certainly NOT contribute and make my info widely available elsewhere ;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts