Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love driving in the optional manual mode on my 05 sedan. I was just wondering if it is bad for the transmission or any other part of the car to use this mode all the time. I had wanted to get a manual car but instead the keys to this baby were practically put right in my pocket. (Long story) I would like to keep using the manual mode all the time but I dont want to hurt the car. I have noticed that the mpg drops a couple digits since i've been using it but thats just because I tend to move a little quicker when I'm shifting. I just don't want to cause and problems that I would be able to prevent.

P.S. I hope this is in the right section if not....sorry.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
It's so lame that mine doesn't even have a manual mode. Especially because it seems like it almost never knows what gear to be in. Plus I feel like when I manually downshift it I'll do some damage. But sometimes it's just easier instead of riding the brakes haha

·
Fly like a G6
37 Posts
I notice that when I shift mine manually that it shifts a lot firmer in 3 or L haha. I don't have the manual mode either (Damn you GM for not putting on the 4 cyl). I have noticed a pick up in power here lately hehe can't say why but it moves out of it's own way now at least.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I am wondering if it will do any damage if I shift my non-manual mode automatic transmission manually.
Isn't it the same transmission anyway except that they added a manual mode shifting selector?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I am wondering if it will do any damage if I shift my non-manual mode automatic transmission manually.
Isn't it the same transmission anyway except that they added a manual mode shifting selector?
I would shy away from manually shifting an auto w/out tap shift because it's not meant to do that. That tap shift mode is more than an extra lever, it's got computer programming to make it work properly. I don't the extent of the damage that could be caused over time, but I wouldn't want to risk it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts