Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum, but I've combed through the exhaust threads and did not find a specific answer to my question. It appears that there are no longer any catback exhaust systems available for the GTPs. I have an 06 sedan with the 3.9 V6 and stock dual tail pipes. My question is: What is a good drop-in replacement for the stock muffler (Flowmaster, Magnaflow, etc.) that will enable me to keep my stock pipes and tips. I had a really good experience replacing the muffler on my 06 Colorado pickup (I5) with a Flowmaster and am looking for the something similar for my G6. Does anyone know what specific mufflers will fit in the best? Looking for part numbers or links...

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Flowmaster or Vibrant?

Right now I'm looking at the Flowmaster Super 44 (9424472) vs. the Vibrant StreetPower (10633). The Vibrant looks closer to being a drop-in replacement, but it's also about 3x the price. I want to use as much of the stock pipes as possible. I need to get the car on my ramps and take some measurements of the stock muffler and how much space is available for either of these two. I'd like to do the work myself (with clamps), but the Vibrant looks like it needs welded for sure. I guess I'm leaning towards the Super 44...

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
Look at the 4th gen Camaro Mufflers....they are mounted sideways like ours.
Our cars have stock 2.25" so you will need a single in and a dual out.

Magnaflow and flowmaster makes one.

Then get a flowthrough round muffler 4" or less for a 2.25" pipe and replace your resonator.
I say 4" or less or you will have clearance issues.

I personally wouldnt keep the stock 2.25 or the stock tips. 4" tips fit perfectly in your back valance. You can upgrade your pipe from the flex pipe back to 2.5". Its also easier to find 2.5" mufflers.

Just my 2 cents.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts