Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I've been trying to find an answer on this forum and on the Malibu forum, as well, with no luck. Hoping someone KNOWS where I should start, as my boyfriend (who was a body man 40+ years) tends to take the most extreme and, oftenly, most expensive route first (i.e. Action before Askin'). So, he's not allowed to just "start" fixing until I get my 2nd opinion. Here's what's going on...

Bought my 2009 G6, 2.4L base (Vin B), with 186,000 miles on the odometer, from someone on offerup. It was a great deal, almost too good, even with the problems I knew about. The first is (and yes it is still a problem) you literally have to muscle the steering wheel to drive it. On occasion, it will go into VERY loose steering that banks right, but not for long. The second is (still too) there is a thud-thud-thud sound from the a/c when the outside air button is on, which it always defaults to. Press the inside circulation button and it goes away. Third was the caliper was stuck out. We fixed the brakes in front and rotated the tires. Other than that, the car has seemed to be in good condition.

On to my newest problems. Put the Bluetooth OBD II scanner on it and am getting DTC codes P0700 and 2534. The way I read it is the 700 code is triggered because the 2534 code needs to be taken care of? Please let me know if this is correct, too. My initial reaction is to take it to the Mechanic and let them look, which I can do, but men and their .... Anywho, last night I drove it and it feels like it's going to get to 3rd, but it doesn't engage. AND, it sounds like a revving engine should when you're supposed to shift (if manual) from 2nd to 3rd and don't...like when you push the gas pedal in Park, engine on. The thing that bothered me most was my rpms weren't bouncing around, just steadily climbing while I was accelerating (it does eventually speed up, it just sounds like
a LOT of air goes through it to do so)
On my way home, I smelt a faint burnt smell, but honestly can't say it came from the engine. So, now my car is sitting, sad and lonely, until I hear back from the experts...you guys. My experience with life is you know nothing about something, until you have to live with it...so who better to get advice from, right?!?馃槉

Pleases and Thank Yous just for reading this. As I already wrote, nothing has been started so, if you can think of any other information that may be needed, please don't hesitate to say so.

Side note:
This has now turned into a bet that I am desperate to win
Again, thanks for any consideration you give this issue. Best Regards, Desiree 馃槉

Registered
I may be of limited use here. but I'll say what I've found and perhaps others with more experience will chime in.

First, on your problem of having to muscle the car around, you need to know that by 2009, I believe all the 4 cylinder cars had electric power steering (rather than the hydraulic system on the 6's). I don't have experience with electric steering but know it's control module should throw codes specific to it if it has a problem.

As for the two codes you're getting, the P0700 indicates the ECM (Engine Control Module) has received a signal from the TCM (Transmission Control Module) that there's a transmission related emission control problem. The P2534 code roughly indicates there is low voltage in one of the ignition circuits feeding power to the transmission that is inadequate to operate the transmission control solenoids properly, which can cause erratic transmission operation and possible transmission damage. You mentioned erratic operation was occurring. (I paraphrased the description of the codes from the service manual software I have.)

My suggestion would be to head for a reputable transmission shop for a closer look. Sorry this might not be much help, but hopefully more replies will come forth.

Good luck. - Mark

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Mark!
Because my code reader is cheap and runs off bluetooth/app, the bf's wasn't trusting that the codes were right. Took it to the "Zone" and put their reader on it. Same exact codes. Started driving away and the g6 shifts, weakly, into gear again!?! So, does anyone have thought/opinion/mutha*lovin*CLUE??? ARGH

Registered
The first thing I would check is the Transmission Control Module Ignition 1 fuse (I believe it is position 4 in the attached diagram)

Registered
Hi, I've been trying to find an answer on this forum and on the Malibu forum, as well, with no luck. Hoping someone KNOWS where I should start...etc...
Did you solve this problem? Boomers starting point suggestion (fuse) seemed right on. Just curious.

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts