Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 G6 GT that I bought a little over a year ago. I have noticed that there is a quacking noise coming from the tire area. I took it in the shop once and they said it was the "beauty ring" on the rims. They are stock rims and I thought they looked nice besides the center caps that started coming off, but this noise is unbearable now. I tried to ignore it some hoping that it doesn't sound too bad, but lately it is HORRIBLE. I've officially named my car Daffy since it quacks so loud. I live on an Army post and when I get to the gate they always ask me what's wrong with my car lol. Thank God my windows are tinted dark. I feel like I need to hide. I don't want to have to buy new rims right now. It's almost Christmas and I just splurged on something non-car related and I REALLY don't need that extra bill. Have any of you had this same problem? If so, please tell me there's another solution besides buying new rims right now! I'm starting to despise my car just because of that stupid sound.

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Do you know how hard it is not to make a duck comment?

I know it may cost you a few bills to get new rims but you could have a few of the base motorheads have a look at it. You will find the dealership is full of quacks so if you go there you may get your feathers ruffled.
Well, maybe you hit a drake?:p

·
Registered
292 Posts
I had the same thing, minus the duck. I replaced the front drivers side wheel bearing and that fixed it. Not exactly cheap though.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have a 2006 G6 GT that I bought a little over a year ago. I have noticed that there is a quacking noise coming from the tire area. I took it in the shop once and they said it was the "beauty ring" on the rims. They are stock rims and I thought they looked nice besides the center caps that started coming off, but this noise is unbearable now. I tried to ignore it some hoping that it doesn't sound too bad, but lately it is HORRIBLE. I've officially named my car Daffy since it quacks so loud. I live on an Army post and when I get to the gate they always ask me what's wrong with my car lol. Thank God my windows are tinted dark. I feel like I need to hide. I don't want to have to buy new rims right now. It's almost Christmas and I just splurged on something non-car related and I REALLY don't need that extra bill. Have any of you had this same problem? If so, please tell me there's another solution besides buying new rims right now! I'm starting to despise my car just because of that stupid sound.
Maybe I am missing something here, why not just remove the beauty rings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
..just out of curiosity what rims do you have on a GT that have a beauty ring? And I could use a new duck call.
Lol..they are just stock rims that came with the car and when I took it to a different Pontiac dealership once, I mentioned the noise and he listened to it and checked everything out and came to the conclusion that it was the beauty ring. It might look ghetto if I take them off but at this point I don't really care. It can't be more ghetto than a quacking car.

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys...yeah I agree...It definitely doesn't seem like my car would have a beauty ring. I called the Firestone here on post and they told me it sounds like a big time suspension issue and that I need to take it off post. Just lovely. That sounds pretty expensive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's a pic..not really a good one and excuse the missing center caps. I've been sworn to that these rims have a beauty ring on them and they're aftermarket. My husband highly doubts it's my suspension like the chick on the phone just told me it might be. I have no other issues with the car at all.

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
From the pics I would say a big NO to the beauty rings. But here's something you can do;
replace the tire that is the suspected quacker with your spare tire. (Hubby can do this:D) If it still quacks find a friend that knows of a good repair shop (I have a big problem with dealerships workig on my car) and take it in to get looked at. It may be the CV joint on that side. If its the CV joint I would expect to pay about $250 ish for the repair. GET A SECOND OPINION TOO!

Does hubby know you are asking these questions here?:p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
From the pics I would say a big NO to the beauty rings. But here's something you can do;
replace the tire that is the suspected quacker with your spare tire. (Hubby can do this:D) If it still quacks find a friend that knows of a good repair shop (I have a big problem with dealerships workig on my car) and take it in to get looked at. It may be the CV joint on that side. If its the CV joint I would expect to pay about $250 ish for the repair. GET A SECOND OPINION TOO!

Does hubby know you are asking these questions here?:p
Lol, he knows I was asking questions. He's out of town right now and hasn't had a chance to look at it. He's going to look at it tomorrow. I'm really really hoping it's not the suspension. I don't think it's just coming from one tire. I think it's both sides. Stupid quacking car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.