Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so looking at getting these brakes dont know which rotors, any suggestions? but the fronts are 11.6 in dia. and rears are 10.6 i know i can go a little bigger but how do i know what vehicle i have to get it off of to get a 12 inch rotor for the front, and would i even need spacers?

i tried looking at an 09 cobalt, but they didnt show anything for the ss/tc model. would i need additional parts to have bigger rotors?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Bigger rotors alone won't make much a difference. But you likely won't be able to fit the calipers with the larger rotors. You would need to upgrade the calipers too. The only real option as far as bigger brakes go is the brembo big brake kit made for the cobalt ss.

I've been researching a possible "poor mans" brake upgrade that could get us slightly larger calipers, rotors and pads without breaking the Bank.
a brand new set of brembo's is nearly a grand...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know and that sucks... although on gmpartsdirect... under a cobalt ss/tc it doesnt say brembo but the caliper is retail 300+ and the site for something like 160+ but if the ss's came with brmebos already wouldnt those be brembos' not just stock gm calipers?

·
Registered
447 Posts
The calipers are only around 170 a piece on rock auto iirc

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Think you can find a link? I can't seem to locate them. If I can manage a brake upgrade for cheaper then I probably will.
So far I've been looking at seeing if a saab 9-3 aero x would fit. They are larger rotors and pads, but I'm unsure of any bolt up patterns to the knuckle.

Actually I'm finding them for $260 a piece. That's with the core since I don't have old brembos to send in :(

·
Registered
447 Posts
Just punch in AC Delco #'s 1722484 and 1722485. Amazon has them for around 190 too

Plus another 100 or so for OEM rotors and another 100 for OEM pads, if you got it all from rock auto youre looking at around 550 iirc

Also do yourself a favor and get the OEM pads and rotors... pads at minimum, anything other than the OEM pads are going to be a step down for performance

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Wow, now that's what I'm talking about. Now I can see myself upgrading the rears as well :D Thanks for the info sir!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Stay away from the rears from the Cobalt SS, they are notorious for seizing up and causing premature wear of the rotors and pads. Their might even be a TSB out for it iirc and their solution is a new caliper as they are not rebuildable... Not to mention you don't really need bigger rear brakes as the fronts do 90% of the braking anyways

·
Registered
447 Posts
I've been exploring a possible "poor mans" braking mechanism update that could get us a little bit bigger calipers, rotors and shields without splitting the Financial institution.
Cheaper than 600?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts