Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of getting a ECM programer and by vector motorsports for my 3.9L g6 convertible 2008. Just wondering if it is good and if it actually gains more power. Or if just messes with the computer and screws everything up. Say it gains from 10-15hp.. Good idea or did anyone get a programer similar to this and noticed a difference?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Most G6ers just buy a tune from WAMS either send yours in or get a replacement PCM outright. Gets tuned for higher octane and is written for the crab intake if you have one. You can get the cords and software to do it yourself but I'd assume it takes some knowledge of vehicle computers.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts

·
Breaks Stuff
224 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Most G6ers just buy a tune from WAMS either send yours in or get a replacement PCM outright. Gets tuned for higher octane and is written for the crab intake if you have one. You can get the cords and software to do it yourself but I'd assume it takes some knowledge of vehicle computers.
So if I replace the PCM and do a crab intake are there any documented HP gains?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I don't know of any Documented HP gains with both of those. I haven't seen anything posted. But from what WAMS has told me, since the tunes are written to work with the crabs, it'll run as close to OEM as possible, but with the added performance.
With the tune you WILL see gains of 12-15 HP as WAMS says. You do gain power from the higher octane and more air getting in.
You're just more likely to retain the smooth idle and smooth accelerating if you go Crabs,

·
Registered
5 Posts
my next question is.... what if I did both of these and got into a situation where I ran 87 oct instead of the 93? will i get check engine lights? or will it run real bad?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
You may get some knocking, but the PCM should compensate and retard timing enough to where it'll run without issues. You will lose performance but likely not get a check engine light.

I recently swapped to my stock PCM and 87 octane to diagnose some intake issues. And I couldn't go back to my WAMS fast enough. I swapped in the PCM before filling up with 93. On the way to the station it ran fine, but seemed a little slower than usual when I would accelerate into traffic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also heard you have to get your camshaft relearned to. Who would do that? Like a local dealer or a car repair shop?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Some cars need a crankshaft position sensor relearn. And a key relearn for security. If you need the key relearn you can do it yourself, there's info everywhere.

To relearn the crankshaft position you'll have to go to a GM shop that has a tech II scan tool or a dealer can do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts