Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2008 G6 sedan with Ecotec engine and 39k miles. I drove a dozen or more G6's before selecting this one and we have lots of Ecotec powered cars in the family fleet. The engine seems to "roar" which is most noticeable on acceleration from the driver's seat. Noise level from other positions in the vehicle is not too bad. The sound quality is normal for this vintage Ecotec, but its abnormally loud. Sounds as if there is a sound insulation panel missing someplace or perhaps an air duct is disconnected.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Is there a panel that goes under the dash on the driver's side to isolate the engine noise? If so, mine is missing.
The engine hood insulation and all the rubber around the edge of the engine compartment appears to be in place.
How do the dash vent directional vanes come out. (will they break if I pull too hard)?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your closeout panel is missing:

Instrument Panel Insulator Panel Replacement - Left Side
http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2707&stc=1&d=1327377835
thanks a ton! I was hoping that was the problem, but when I looked under there, it was not obvious anything was missing and I never would have known to call it a closeout panel. Back to CarMax. We are still in the 3 day return period, so I am pretty sure they will take care of it. Having the picture is a bonus, so thanks again.

Now I guess I should worry about what kinda work was being done to the car for them to take it off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well....the closeout panel is in place, so I need to keep looking for the issue. I can feel there is at least some foam on the panel, but the area to the right of the steering column is wide open. Also, the is a big gap between lower instrubment panel and bottom of steering column that could let sound in. I plan to drop the closeout panel and put some sound absorbing pads wherever I can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem resolved. Went back to Carmax. They found intermediate shaft boot not installed properly. Apparently the intermediate shaft had been repaired before we bought the car, which I believe is common for these vehicles.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Problem resolved. Went back to Carmax. They found intermediate shaft boot not installed properly. Apparently the intermediate shaft had been repaired before we bought the car, which I believe is common for these vehicles.
GM intermediate steering shafts are very problematic. Thanks for letting us know how your issue was resolved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts