Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 with a 3.5l. Having problems with the car losing electrical power. It tends to happen when I take off over 3 grand. Sometimes I hear a popping coming from around my feet kind of like a wire short circuiting or something. It's kind of annoying since the steering is fully electronic and you're turning, kind of dangerous actually. Sometimes the battery light comes on and sometimes more than just that. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
06 with a 3.5l. Having problems with the car losing electrical power. It tends to happen when I take off over 3 grand. Sometimes I hear a popping coming from around my feet kind of like a wire short circuiting or something. It's kind of annoying since the steering is fully electronic and you're turning, kind of dangerous actually. Sometimes the battery light comes on and sometimes more than just that. Any ideas?
Any aftermarket electrical add-ons?
Any tire store can do a charging system check. Around here its free. I'd start there.
After that I'd investigate the ignition switch.

·
Procrastinator
67 Posts
Try looking for any black marks around the area you think the noise is coming from. If the wires are grounding to something, it will leave black marks. If you have black panels, check for the finish looking more dull around the cables. Outside of that, you will probably need an electrical system check. Could be a fuse that is "blown" but somehow still making contact. Electrical work can be real annoying. And at can be real simple. Hope you get it fixed and it's super easy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try looking for any black marks around the area you think the noise is coming from. If the wires are grounding to something, it will leave black marks. If you have black panels, check for the finish looking more dull around the cables. Outside of that, you will probably need an electrical system check. Could be a fuse that is "blown" but somehow still making contact. Electrical work can be real annoying. And at can be real simple. Hope you get it fixed and it's super easy.

Me too.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
My brain was on vacation when I made my initial reponse so here's a second one:
I would suspect the electric-assist power steering system is at fault as the motor is above your feet & draws a lot of current. You might be covered under this:

http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8863

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My brain was on vacation when I made my initial reponse so here's a second one:
I would suspect the electric-assist power steering system is at fault as the motor is above your feet & draws a lot of current. You might be covered under this:

http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8863

That's great, but I'm not sure if mine is that exact problem. Yes, I do lose my power steering, but it says that a light comes up about power steering. Mine does not do that. My battery light comes on. The other day I actually lost all power to my whole gauge cluster. None of them were working.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
That's great, but I'm not sure if mine is that exact problem. Yes, I do lose my power steering, but it says that a light comes up about power steering. Mine does not do that. My battery light comes on. The other day I actually lost all power to my whole gauge cluster. None of them were working.
The point was that there have been a lot of problems with the eps system on these vehicles. Especially on the older ones. It sounds like yours is shorting out & pulling down system voltage. Thus the charging system malfunction indicator lamp going hot. One easy thing you could try to see if it is eps-related is to pull the 60amp eps fuse. (Do so only at keyoff). Then try to reproduce your issue.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/steering_power_electric.htm

Otherwise, take it to a dealer & have them check for DTCs. Best I can do for you given your input.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The point was that there have been a lot of problems with the eps system on these vehicles. Especially on the older ones. It sounds like yours is shorting out & pulling down system voltage. Thus the charging system malfunction indicator lamp going hot. One easy thing you could try to see if it is eps-related is to pull the 60amp eps fuse. (Do so only at keyoff). Then try to reproduce your issue.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/steering_power_electric.htm

Otherwise, take it to a dealer & have them check for DTCs. Best I can do for you given your input.

I got a coupld ex co-workers that work at a gm dealership so I'll have them do some research and some diagnostics on it. Thanks a lot for the help.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Also quite possible your alternator has an internal intermittent that reveals itself only at 3000 RPM (or over). And maybe the popping at your feet is just the eps system (or some other system) responding to voltage dropout. Would help a lot to hear it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts