Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there fellow G6 owners, I got an exhaust question and I'm sure you can tell what it is from the title, if not....well damn man. Anyways, my previous car had a muffler delete and I for one loved the sound it made (3.0 v6) however I've decided against this for the G6 after reading about losing back pressure and how critical it is for our cars. With that being said I also read that a straight pipe would result in possibly better hp in the high rpm range. With an electronic exhaust cutout you can run straight pipes with the flick of the switch. So say from a dead stop, stock exhaust for the back pressure but once you get up to speed opening the cutout for a free flowing exhaust. And of course, I'm sure it would sound Godly, my 3.0 sounded damn mean and not fart can bumblebee buzz mean. And with the bigger engine I imagine it would sound even better. And before you say it I know the GT-R exhaust is the best way to go but, damn I'm broke as hell lol I would like to mount before the resonator to get the loudest possible noise but I think the easiest place to mount would be in front of the rear wheel on the drivers side where the bend is after the resonator and extending the pipe a little to clear the underside of the car. So guys(gals), any thoughts or opinions on this idea? Btw I have a 3.9l GTP and sorry for such a long post lol

·
Registered
447 Posts
Cars dont need backpressure to put it simply, its a common misconception but if you do the research youll find out why. As for the cutout I wouldnt bother, if the car is your daily driver and sees rain and snow you can bet that the cutout valve is gonna seize up as soon as it starts to rust. Personally if you want a louder sounding exhaust just replace the resonator with a bottle style one and the muffler with a flow through unit

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Back pressure may not be important but having a cut out will also dump all your torque. The total length of the exhaust makes an impact on torque when it comes to naturally aspirated engines.

For example when I pulled my exhaust apart it separated after the cat, even though my 4cyl has 2 cats it still felt unreasonably sluggish on hills and when starting off. As soon as I got it welded back together it felt like I had so much more go power.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well living in Georgia I'm not too worried about snow lol We do get a lot of rain. I just like the idea of having a quiet exhaust when I like and a loud obnoxious "who the **** is making that noise" exhaust on the fly. Oh well just an idea for now, I'm not really interested in performance gains for the most part, if I got any it would be nice but I literally just want the noise lol I saw a video on youtube of a G6 running straight pipes from the headers back, dear lord it was loud.
The G6 in the video is exactly the same as mine so if I could get that level of noise, it would make me a happy camper.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I hear that, I wanted to do a cutout/dump just so I can hit a switch and scare the piss out of people on the street.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly, I hate how quiet our exhaust system is. And the nanny controls wont let us rev past 4k rpm when sitting still so it's hard to show off lol I have a cone filter installed and that really brought up the volume but more coudnt hurt.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Honestly for my 4 Banger an intake and an exhaust resonator delete made it sound a lot better through the whole rpm range both with and without load. Its not overly loud but its not droning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts