Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2006 pontiac G6 and i have a problem that i cant resolve now for over a month.. while im driving the car suddenly shuts down.. and then on the radio i get a display ... ENG PWR REDUCED. when i try to start the car it says ENGINE DISABLED. the car has been to pontiac 2x and they cant find any codes.... and 2 other mechanics dont know what is the problem either...

i replaced the fuel pump and the car still does the same thing.... does anyone have any idea what is wrong??

·
Registered
26 Posts
That actually happened to be last night but it was because the intake sucked the inner lining of my air intake into the throttle and it couldn't close.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no car is not under warranty anymore.. 100,000km.......this thing is driving me insane...

on friday it was literally every 20 feet turning off

·
Registered
286 Posts
Check your body connectors for shorts ...ect.

Funny that the techs at the deal have no idea....They just say oh well I don;t know....What a bunch a horse crap.

Here is some info for a similar problem I found

Bulletin No.: 07-06-04-019A

Date: November 06, 2008
Subject:
Intermittent MIL/SES, DTC P2138 with Reduced Engine Power (Repair Instrument Panel (IP) to Body Harness Connector)

Models:
2005-2008 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (Including Saturn)
2005-2008 HUMMER H2
2006-2008 HUMMER H3
2005-2008 Saab 9-7X

Supercede:

This Bulletin is being revised to add additional diagnostic service information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-06-04-019 (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System)

Condition

Some customers may comment on an intermittent MIL/SES light Illuminated with a message center or an indicator that displays Reduced Engine Power. DTC P2138 Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor 1-2 Correlation may be set. The voltage difference between APP sensor 1 and APP sensor 2 exceeds a predetermined value for more than a brief period. Refer to DTC P2138 in SI for further diagnostics.

Cause

On some vehicles, the IP to body harness connector, which carries the APP signal to the ECM/PCM, is located in the left hand kick panel area or inside the IP. Water intrusion into these areas could cause an electrical short in the APP circuits setting a P2138 code.

Correction
Note: Make sure that no add-on/aftermarket equipment is electrically connected to the APP signals or to the other ECM/PCM five volt reference or return lines. These can generate false P2138 and/or other ETC System DTCs. If there are other engine DTCs besides P2138, such as MAP sensor faults (i.e. P0107, P0108), resolve these first before attempting to diagnose P2138 DTCs.

Important: Refer to DTC P2138 in SI to confirm that the ETC pedal is operating correctly.

Locate the IP to body harness connector, which may be located in and around the left hand kick panel area or inside the IP. Check to see if there is a water leak into the area and repair as necessary. Use a water hose to determine the source of a water leak and effectiveness of repair. Some examples of potential water leaks are: A-pillar seals, sunroof drain lines (if so equipped) and windshield/cowl sealing. Finally, repair or replace the IP to body harness connector, making sure no corrosion or debris is left on or between the terminals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There should be a safeguard / override called A THROTTLE CABLE!!!

What if it was freezing outside? Stuck there with a half tank of gas, but a disabled motor, lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
2006 G6 Engine Power Reduced, Engine Disabled

i have a 2006 pontiac G6 and i have a problem that i cant resolve now for over a month.. while im driving the car suddenly shuts down.. and then on the radio i get a display ... ENG PWR REDUCED. when i try to start the car it says ENGINE DISABLED. the car has been to pontiac 2x and they cant find any codes.... and 2 other mechanics dont know what is the problem either...

i replaced the fuel pump and the car still does the same thing.... does anyone have any idea what is wrong??
I'm now having the same thing happening to my 2006. Very intermittent and under different driving conditions. Your driving along when all of a sudden the engine light comes on, the message displays "ENG PWR REDUCED" and is followed very quickly by a message "ENGINE DISABLED". After you coast to a stop, shut everything off and wait about a minute, you can start it back up and it drives like normal? While disabled you can not even engage the starter. The engine light clears immediately. No codes are even stored in history. I pulled the inside interior cover on the left side and did not find any signs of water. The car does have a sunroof. Air cleaner and intake look clear. I've seen a few posts now with this problem but no indication of anyone finding a smoking gun.

Mark
Indiana, PA

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,354 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me but only one time.
I was on the interstate and had to pull off. I couldnt restart the car.

Went to the dealership and sat for two days till they could look at it.
I was a tad upset over that then they said it started right up and they could
find nothing wrong with it.

I was pissed. It cost me a tow and an $80 diagnostic fee. So $200 later to be told nothing was wrong. That was about 2 years ago. It never happened again....to date that is.

No idea....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me but only one time.
I was on the interstate and had to pull off. I couldnt restart the car.

Went to the dealership and sat for two days till they could look at it.
I was a tad upset over that then they said it started right up and they could
find nothing wrong with it.

I was pissed. It cost me a tow and an $80 diagnostic fee. So $200 later to be told nothing was wrong. That was about 2 years ago. It never happened again....to date that is.

No idea....
I know that is exactly what I will get if I just take it in. My understanding so far is that the system monitors the pedal position and the position of the throttle plate. If the monitored values are out of spec for a given time then power is reduced and follows with the engine disabled. I assume this is so you don't get an accidental full throttle without touching the gas pedal, etc. So, my throttle plate could be sticking, the pedal position sensor could have the problem or the DC servo moving the throttle plate could be malfuctioning or a false signal in the wiring due to a corroded connection. That is why it's my best bet to find someone that solved their problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Come on guys, someone knows

I know that is exactly what I will get if I just take it in. My understanding so far is that the system monitors the pedal position and the position of the throttle plate. If the monitored values are out of spec for a given time then power is reduced and follows with the engine disabled. I assume this is so you don't get an accidental full throttle without touching the gas pedal, etc. So, my throttle plate could be sticking, the pedal position sensor could have the problem or the DC servo moving the throttle plate could be malfuctioning or a false signal in the wiring due to a corroded connection. That is why it's my best bet to find someone that solved their problem.
Update:

I decided to replace the whole throttle body assembly. (Got the OEM AC Delco part). Thought I had it fixed and it did it again. I even had it fail a few times just sitting there idling. I got lucky at Advanced Auto and had it fail in the parking lot (imagine that!) This time I got codes. (They would not store before) I got U0107 Lost Comm w/ throttle body, P0606 PCM Processor Fail and P0601 Int. Control Mod Ck Sum Error. Connections all look good. I'm figuring I need to get a new PCM and have flashed / installed? I really hate to spend more money for nothing. Help me guys. surely someone has been down this path.

·
Registered
638 Posts
check your grounds

specifically the ground from the negative of your battery to your engine block/trans theres been a few members that this ground has broken off from the conector causeing problems similar to what you state.............

·
Registered
638 Posts
ok mabey not the ground lol, i missed your last post with the pcm codes LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Resolved! I found the smoking Gun!

I finally found what was wrong! I am amazed that there have been so many people with this exact problem but there has been no post or other information on how it was resolved. I had to do it the hard way.

Update:

I decided to replace the whole throttle body assembly. (Got the OEM AC Delco part). Thought I had it fixed and it did it again. I even had it fail a few times just sitting there idling. I got lucky at Advanced Auto and had it fail in the parking lot (imagine that!) This time I got codes. (They would not store before) I got U0107 Lost Comm w/ throttle body, P0606 PCM Processor Fail and P0601 Int. Control Mod Ck Sum Error. Connections all look good. I'm figuring I need to get a new PCM and have flashed / installed? I really hate to spend more money for nothing. Help me guys. surely someone has been down this path.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pontiacs are the biggest piece of [email protected]# vehicles on the road! No wonder they went out of business!!! I cannot wait to get rid of my G6 but i cant keep it on the road long enough to sell it. Its always one thing after another.... from brakes, rotors, starters, batteries, connectors, radio, engine everything has had to be replaced so in a sense ive basically bought almost 2 cars!n Never in my life will i own another car made by General Motors and they can count on that!

·
Registered
2 Posts
This just happend to me - thought I was stuck 22 miles from home at a grocery store with a frozen dinner for lunch. Reduced Eng power - shut off tried to start again - engine
check came on. Stepped out of the car for a minute made a call; then it started right up.

Please tell me what the smoking gun is - i'm going to Advanced Auto for an air filter - I'll see about getting a code. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts