Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I own a 2006 Pontiac G6. While he was driving it this evening the car started to idle a bit rough and he noticed a slight ticking sound. He pulled over, checked the engine oil level, and it was fine. He got in to try and start the car, and it would not turn over. He let it sit for a few minutes, and tried to start it again. It started up, and the idle was back to normal, and though it was reduced it still had a ticking. we only live a mile or so away from where he was so he was going to try and drive it home. About 35 seconds down the road the engine stopped, but he was able to coast into a nearby parking lot. We had it towed home, but have no idea where to go from there. Anyone have any ideas??? Anything would be a great help. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
It could be a lot of things. Reason being, for example, you had a bad lifter... It finally fell apart and now took out a piston and part of the cylinder wall. So your issue was a bad lifter, but now your problem is a lifter, piston and engine block.

I am in no way saying that's your problem for sure, just giving an example. What you need to do is have someone who works on motors open up that engine and see what's wrong.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
My husband and I own a 2006 Pontiac G6. While he was driving it this evening the car started to idle a bit rough and he noticed a slight ticking sound. He pulled over, checked the engine oil level, and it was fine. He got in to try and start the car, and it would not turn over. He let it sit for a few minutes, and tried to start it again. It started up, and the idle was back to normal, and though it was reduced it still had a ticking. we only live a mile or so away from where he was so he was going to try and drive it home. About 35 seconds down the road the engine stopped, but he was able to coast into a nearby parking lot. We had it towed home, but have no idea where to go from there. Anyone have any ideas??? Anything would be a great help. Thank you!!!
Its awfully hard to diagnose an issue based on that amount of info. Assuming it was dark enough, did you notice the headlights dimming? I'm thinking maybe it's an alternator issue. You can have the charging system checked out at any tire store for free. Is the check engine lamp on?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts