Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I have a 2008 Ponitac G6 Gt Coupe and something scary just happen when I was driving my car. So this morning I was driving to my local Walmart to get some stuff and I was coming to a stop sign. So I began to put my foot on the brake to come to a complete stop. Once I let go of the brake my engine stopped and my steering wheel was locked and wouldn't move... My radio was still working but my car wasn't moving. I took the key out of the ignition and my radio was still playing for about 3 seconds before it turned off... I put the key back in the ignition and my car started back up and my steering wheel wasn't locked anymore.

I managed to get to Walmart and when I got out of my car I smelled a burning smell coming from under my hood. I checked under my hood and nothimg seem to be bad or damaged. I didn't see any smoke. I put the hood back down and walked inside Walmart to get my stuff. 10 mintutes later I get back in my car and start it up. About a minute later while I was driving down the road I felt my car jerking forward a little. About 10 seconds later I was making a right turn onto a street and my engine did the same thing again, it stopped and the steering wheel was locked. I repeated the same process but this time when I turned the ignition my car took 3 seconds before it turned on. I managed to get back to my house safely, but while I was driving back my car was shifting a little rough and my acceration felt kinda sluggish...

When I got to my house I noticed that the check engine light wasn't even on. I used this Hyper Tough Scan Tool I bought from Walmart to double check if I had any codes. I actually did had one code which is Code P0171 "too lean bank 1" I checked the MAF sensor, Throttle body, and the black air tube and all 3 seem to be in good condition.
Also while I was checking the 3 I smelled that burning smell again but I couldn't find where it's coming from.

I'm really stumped and afraid to drive this car right now because I don't want to cause an accident. Does anyone know what might be going on? Car has 49000 miles and I bought this car a month and a half ago. Also I actually have an appointment tomorrow to get the tranny fluid change, what luck...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: So i think I found what caused my engine to stall/stop. I think my Throttle body is going out. This morning I decided to check the throttle body again and took it out to do a deep clean on it. I cleaned it, put it back on the manfold and let it do the rpm cycling and the engine doesn't stall/quit and the steering doesn't lock anymore. The acceleration also improved, doesnt feel sluggish anymore and shifts better now. I ordered me a new throttle body online tofau since my current one may be on the verge of failing. Might as well get a brand new one, better safe then sorry.

The burning smell also been reduced. Most likly caused by the throttle body having bad carbon.

The engine light is not even on but
the P0171 code is still in my system. Most likely a bad O2 Sensor. I'm planning on changing it either today or tomorrow. I'll keep y'all update if this fixed the code.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts