Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just bought my 2008 G6 3.5L today (30k miles on it almost exactly) and immediately noticed off the lot that at idle and between the 35 - 45 mph window that the engine kind of starts fluttering as if it is gasping for air. At least as someone who is not very mechanically inclined that is how I would describe the sound. During this flutter, the car shakes and rumbles a bit and you can see the tachometer fluttering as well while this is going on.

I have an appointment to go and get this checked out on Monday with the dealer but I wanted a few opinions first. I expect I will probably get told there is nothing they can do.

I have cleaned the throttle body (I've seen instances where the same symptoms were produced by a gunked up perimeter around the butterfly valve) but that didn't help at all. It does not happen in times of intense acceleration or any time after it has reached the 50 mph mark. A quick search reveals this is a common problem but I have yet to hear if anyone was ever able to get it resolved.

Thoughts?

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Find a place like AAMCO, not the dealership. The dealership will just charge you 200 bucks to tell you nothing.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
No check engine lamp & no codes? If not, a dealer will probably tell you there's no problem unless the problem is easily reproducible in a quick test drive. The car is still covered by the 5yr/100K powertrain warranty & it could be a warranty repair.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No check engine lamp & no codes? If not, a dealer will probably tell you there's no problem unless the problem is easily reproducible in a quick test drive. The car is still covered by the 5yr/100K powertrain warranty & it could be a warranty repair.
Thanks for the replies. No codes or lights. I notice it lessens in its intensity if the AC is turned off. It is easily reproducible because it generally starts within a couple of minutes of idling.

I had considered the powertrain warranty as I read somewhere there is a TSB out on an issue that sounds a lot like what I'm experiencing. If the dealer can't help me, I'll take it to GM. I was just hoping for an avenue to explore in case neither are able to get it fixed.

Hoping to draw the attention of someone who has had a similar issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts