Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, im really having trouble with my 2007 pontiac G6. Awhile back my check engine light came on, nothing really change an occasional hard shift here and there. Engine light would sometimes go off and it wouldnt shift hard. Now... its constantly on and it constantly shifts hard. I had it read on a computer at advanced auto parts. It gave me a p0014 reading, so i changed my crankshaft sensor. Didnt fix the problem. So i finally got a diag on it at VIP. They are now saying (with the same p0014 code) that i need a exhaust camshaft position sensor/possible oil condition. Plus i have a code p1104 possible injection problems and a p1174 secondary misfire but next to that it says "not at this time" Im very confused on what to do. Ive read alot of posts saying that other people had this same problem, got it fixed and nothing changed! I dont want to waste my money if this really isnt the issue! Please help

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
0014:
This is usually caused by a bad exhaust CMP actuator solenoid or it's circuit (bank 1 if the 3.6l engine). Please search in this forum on "P0014" & read those threads first & come back with any questions. This part is covered under the powertrain warranty.

1104:
This code is not used for your car. Recheck this one.

1174:
This code may be resolved by fixing the 0014 so that is the place to start.

·
Registered
9 Posts
intake cam sensor. saw a couple of your threads. replace both intake and exhaust cam sensors on top of valve cover. fixed my problem and i had the same codes and problem.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
intake cam sensor. saw a couple of your threads. replace both intake and exhaust cam sensors on top of valve cover. fixed my problem and i had the same codes and problem.
The correct name for the parts are intake & exhaust camshaft position (CMP) actuator solenoids. I assume you are confusing them with the intake & exhaust camshaft position (CMP) sensors. They are different parts serving different functions. The actuators are not sensors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
And how did you arrive at that diagnosis given a 14 code? I have never seen a 14 be caused by anything other than a bad exhaust CMP actuator solenoid, it's circuit, or really seriously neglected engine oil.
maybe I am not correct on my description, but I had a p0014 code along with hard shifting and changed the exhaust solenoid or sensor that is located on top left side of the motor right next to another sensor or solenoid. probably the CMP actuator you are stating.

I did find a very large piece of metal that had broken off somewhere in the system stuck on the solenoid or sensor

sorry if I confused anyone, I changed it more than a year ago and was just going off memory.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Sounds like you have the 2.4l ecotec engine. The intake & exhaust actuators are next to cyl #1 spark plug at the front of the engine. CMP sensors (magnetic Hall-effect type) have a low failure rate while CMP actuators (which are mechanical in nature) have a fairly high failure rate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
yes I have the 2.4 ecotec, and it must have been the actuators going by your description of their location. thanks

·
'07 G6 Basic
11 Posts
Hey guys. I am having the same issue. I replaced my CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR and its still bucking with Engine code P0014 Exhaust (b) Camshaft Position Timing Over-Advanced. But as far as the intake & exhaust actuators, I can't find that on Advances website.

Can you help me out with locating this part?

·
Legend
782 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my gf's 07 2.4. I haven't had the codes pulled yet but I figured I'd call ahead and check part availability. I didn't bother calling advance so I called AutoZone and they only could find the sensor and didn't even know what the other part was. Is there possibly a different name it might be called or searched for?

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Legend
782 Posts
I found a thread about this from last year. Looks like its pretty much a dealer only part. Gmpartsdirect I guess has them. Here's the quote

" I sent an e-mail to GM Parts Direct inquiring about the part numbers and this is what they sent back:

I have entered your supplied information into our licensed GM parts catalog and below are the part numbers requested and are verified as being correct per the VIN supplied.
12628347 Camshaft Position Actuator Intake Solenoid Valve 12628348 Camshaft Position Actuator Exhaust Solenoid Valve

So they look legit. They seemed to be selling them for the lowest price around that I could find. And at $29 I think even if AZ sold a generic aftermarket replacement I'd still probably buy the GM part. "

But my next question is. How much damage can be caused by not changing this for like a week and being driven while waiting for the part? And is it safe/ok to drive to and from work? Have no other form of transportation :/

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Hey guys. I am having the same issue. I replaced my Cam\Crank Pos Sensor (says this on Advanced receipt.) and its still bucking with Engine code P0014 Exhaust (b) Camshaft Position Timing Over-Advanced. But as far as the intake & exhaust actuators, I can't find that on Advances website.

Can you help me out with locating this part?
You got the same bad advice they gave the OP.

I'm assuming you also have the 2.4l. If so, pull off the plastic engine cover & just to the left of the #1 spark plug (passenger side) are two cylinders. I suggest you replace both (diff. part numbers). There are no aftermarket versions...just oem. They may not sell them at Advance.

·
'07 G6 Basic
11 Posts
I cannot find these part #'s when searching the gmpartsdirect.com website

I found a thread about this from last year. Looks like its pretty much a dealer only part. Gmpartsdirect I guess has them. Here's the quote

" I sent an e-mail to GM Parts Direct inquiring about the part numbers and this is what they sent back:

I have entered your supplied information into our licensed GM parts catalog and below are the part numbers requested and are verified as being correct per the VIN supplied.
12628347 Camshaft Position Actuator Intake Solenoid Valve 12628348 Camshaft Position Actuator Exhaust Solenoid Valve

So they look legit. They seemed to be selling them for the lowest price around that I could find. And at $29 I think even if AZ sold a generic aftermarket replacement I'd still probably buy the GM part. "

But my next question is. How much damage can be caused by not changing this for like a week and being driven while waiting for the part? And is it safe/ok to drive to and from work? Have no other form of transportation :/

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
But my next question is. How much damage can be caused by not changing this for like a week and being driven while waiting for the part? And is it safe/ok to drive to and from work? Have no other form of transportation
You shouldn't have to worry about about doing damage. Did you check the codes?

·
'07 G6 Basic
11 Posts
You got the same bad advice they gave the OP.

I'm assuming you also have the 2.4l. If so, pull off the plastic engine cover & just to the left of the #1 spark plug (passenger side) are two cylinders. I suggest you replace both (diff. part numbers). There are no aftermarket versions...just oem. They may not sell them at Advance.
Thank you so much man, I was going crazy trying to figure this out!

By chance, do you know the part numbers on gmpartsdirect.com?

Thanks for all your help!

PS..I did do some searching myself and found these two part #'s off of ebay.

Intake Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid 12646783
Exhaust Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid 12646784

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my gf's 07 2.4. I haven't had the codes pulled yet but I figured I'd call ahead and check part availability. I didn't bother calling advance so I called AutoZone and they only could find the sensor and didn't even know what the other part was. Is there possibly a different name it might be called or searched for?
I've noticed different sellers use different names for these actuators. Some call them sensors which they definitely aren't. The CMP sensors hardly ever go bad.

·
Legend
782 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Thank you so much man, I was going crazy trying to figure this out!

By chance, do you know the part numbers on gmpartsdirect.com?

Thanks for all your help!

PS..I did do some searching myself and found these two part #'s off of ebay.

Intake Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid 12646783
Exhaust Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid 12646784
I believe those numbers are good & current. These actuators are widely used by GM on many models.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts