Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm all over the place in my brain so I'm just going to spill it all out and hope for the best. First off, I'm working with the 2.4l base model g6. I know I would like an extra amount of power out of my 6. Top hp I want? maybe 240-300. No more than 300 though, it'd get me in serious trouble. But I'd like to aim for around 240 hp, about 215 ft lbs of torque. With a 2.4, with the research I have done, this is near impossible without having about $7k+ to shell out for a custom turbo set up, which if I had that much, I could just get a ford lightning :)... But sadly I don't. So please, spare me the "just buy a faster car" speech. I like my g6, the way it looks, and etc. I just want more power out of it. My driving involves heavy acceleration then at most (unless racing) 5 miles over the speed limit so I'm really shooting for torque. Now, I know very little about the WAMS tune for the 4 cyl. I searched and I think I remember the hp rating (stock) is like 164 hp. How much of an increase would I be looking at with a full exhaust job with true dual outlets, cold air intake (probably crabs since I have heard no complaints about it other than them itching), and the tune? Would I need to up the ante on my transmission, change the type of oil I use, (i know its a high octane tune so I know about the gas) and finally, would it benefit from a functional hood scoop with the air flow routed towards the intake box?...

Ok... the worst has passed...

Lastly, is my last resort. Engine swapping. Whats the biggest engine that can fit in the G6 without MUCH cutting into the firewall. I don't mind doing a little fabrication but I dont have the time or resources to cut out my entire firewall and do a custom dash and all that jazz. Without much work at all (if any) what engine will simply fit in the engine bay and match the mount pattern? And how do you go about converting FWD to AWD or RWD? (details please.)

Ok there you go people. Shoot.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
You sir are barking up all of my trees. I've got the 2.4 also with the wams tune. Complete 3" CAI, a resonator delete on the exhaust and some trans coolers to extend the life.

I love my wams tune, it really perked up my engine and gave me more confidence in my car. Although the crab intakes are the popular choice, there isn't one for the 4 Banger.

Also there is a bolt on supercharger and Turbo kit for this motor. Still costs a few grand though.
My goal is also around 250hp. Its really a good stopping point for a FWD car. With that much power a trans cooler should be enough to prevent it from exploding.

Keep this in mind... our 2.4 was offered in the cobalt SS. So when looking for parts just use a cobalt ss instead of a g6 in your searches.
I have a cobalt intake and torque damper, some mods were required but that's just the way of life.

Check out www.zzperformance.com for parts. You can get everything from bolt-ons to internals and exhaust. They got it all.
I'm looking at their cams and SC kit personally...

They have a Turbo cobalt pushing 898hp on the stock block! They stopped there because the head gasket was leaking. That kind of power in FWD is only good for straight line speed. I plan to corner often, like at Autocross days and the such.

As for a drivetrain swap I would say forget about it. The closest thing I could find is a Saab 9-3 because some were awd. Problem here is Saab changed so much on that platform that it wouldn't bolt up easily to our cars. You would be looking at spending some serious serious dough to achieve that, and imo its not worth it for this car. Might as well get a G8 or the new Chevy SS which should drop next year or something. Look it up.

I've done a crap load of reasearch on this motor and trans and have gotten pretty far with my ideas and plans, all I'm lacking is the money.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I need to generally set up my own cold air intake, get an intake and modify it to fit, or just shoot ram air from the hood scoop i intend to get (AIT)? I have heard of the same engine and such for the cobalt and the g6, what I have not heard is WHY the g6 is such a pain in the arse to turbo, vs the cobalt. If its the same engine, why not use the same ECM/TCM? If that is the only difference, would it work to get a cobalt unit and fool your g6 into performing as a cobalt? If the question is confusing, I just want to know why is it that when you want to put a little more air into the g6, its like a gf that was asked to perform sexual acts in the butt. Just not happening. Vs, the cobalt that is ready and willing to have a turbo mounted as long as the necessary upgrades are done to the internals and the tranny? Why do our G6s hate us so?!... But on a serious note, with your set up, what does your car sound like? My only exhaust modification so far is the removal of the muffler. It has a consistent drone (that I've gotten used to) but sounds very throaty for a 4 cyl and I like that. I don't want to sound like the many hondas in my city. All loud but going absolutely nowhere.
I have yet to remove my engine cover. It looks like the cover is actually a part of the intake housing, so if I remove the engine cover, will i actually be taking apart my intake?
What makes the cobalt so friendly to so much boost if its the same engine? I know internals is a large part of it, but I've seen cobalts doing fricken solid mid 9s in the quarter mile and wiping the floor with mustangs and other front page muscle cars. So many unanswered questions but it sounds like your research is just the set of answers i've been looking for.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Be got videos of my exhaust and intake in my cars page. You'll find it in the members rides area. It sounds deep but the drone isn't bad at all. Frankly I like how it sounds. Nice tone on light throttle. But deeper at WOT thanks to the intake.
Honestly you can completely make your own intake with spectre parts from autozone, but Amazon seems cheaper. They have a MAF sensor adapter that reduces the inside diameter to that of the stock intake. So you can get colder air in and get some good sounds without throwing a lean code and needing a tune.
The intake is part of the engine cover, you need to remove said cover to install an intake. I'm sure there are pics in my thread as well.

I'm not sure why cobalts handle it better. I know most ss cobalt are already Turbo or supercharged. But those are the smaller 2.0 or 2.2 motors. I'm fairly certain the 2.4 in the cobalt has the same PCM and TCM as our G6. I'm not sure but I thought cobalt had problems with intakes too. If not then maybe their base factory tune is better. Afterall a stock 2.4 cobalt has 171hp and for us stock its 168hp. So there's probably something there.

I know back in 06 or 07 they changed the oil pipe design in the motor and it offers better cooling and lubrication. I talked to ZZP and was told the stock internals are good to 300hp and the trans is "borrowed time" past 250. But people on the cobalt forums are saying a trans cooler will easily hold you at 300hp without too many issues. Unless you constantly beat the hell out of it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I set up a CAI on my last car with Spectre. I want this one to be nice though. Same engine means same transmission right? If tuning is the issue, then I wonder if WAMS can conquer the impossible-to-turbo problem that I shall be referring to as "the beast" from this point on?... It seems that the only thing that hasn't been done successfully to unleash the turbo/SC potential is reflashing the ECU to take whatever you throw at it? If it can be done on a late model hyundai (who isn't known for any kind of decent performing, tuned vehicles until now *genesis*) almost as soon as the car is released and someone can get their hands on it, then I KNOW someone can crack the code for the ECU or at least get a cobalt ECU, flash it, and bring it to the G6. But man its disheartening to not know why the g6 is so ticky when cobalt guys are just getting nice turbo kits and just tuning them and they work on stock internals, beefed up injectors, and performance cat exhaust or no cats at all in a custom exhaust... WITH THE SAME ENGINE!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well. I dont want a turbo to be exact. I want a supercharger. Much more predictable and I like the whine.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
That's why I decided in a supercharger a lot easier to tune for. Zzp sells the tuned PCM with the kit. The SC tune is a conservative tune but still offers good power without blowing the motor. And further and you start buying dyno time.

Also I'm not quite sure what you're on about with all the tune speak... I got a wams tune. Took care of my intake issues and really perked up my engine.
You can't just add boost and be all set. It with always require tuning. Even more so with the Turbo to get it right. I wouldn't be surprised if the cobalt guys have a lot of the same issues.

And yea the 2.4 cobalt ss has the same 4 speed auto we have. We have pretty much the same motor as the cobalt. The only real difference I know if is the factory map in the PCM.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm really just confused on small points. I mean, if we have the SAME engine and tranny, but the only difference is the factory setup, why haven't more g6ers put down the money into their cars to get it done? A cobalt is cheaper AND smaller than a g6 yet the cobalt community is ALL OVER the tune/turbo scene. I guess my real peeve is wondering why no one cares about their cars anymore, instead of "just buy something faster." But then again, hot rodding ( the true meaning of doing whatever you can, with whatever you have ) is a dying thing nowadays.

Dyno time is gonna be a mother... Closest one to me is like an hour away and I don't have any other transportation... Other than a bike. But my work commute is 45 minutes one way. Idk if they do a thing like leaving your car there and then they dyno it or you have to be there on appointment or whatever. I've never even seen a dyno or tuning shop in person. Arkansas isn't known for its car modders thats for sure.

With a SC do I still need all those freakin gauges? Like oil temp, oil press, water temp, and stuff? Or can I cut a few of em? I'm a big guy and I like my head room. Too many gauges and I'll start to feel like I'm driving a little cavalier.

But about the WAMS I was saying that since Chris ( i think thats his name) figured out the initial tuning to incorporate higher octane AND a CAI, maybe he could develop one for a supercharged/turboed 6? I don't mind going for ZZP merchandise but the 6 and the cobalt have a different factory setup and those products are for the cobalt. I guess I'd just feel more at ease if there was a kit specifically for the g6 because when i read cobalt information, I'm not thinking "they got this much power out of the 2.4l ecotech" i'm thinking since there is a difference somewhere along the line, "they got this much power out of a cobalt." I'm just paranoid most likely but the last thing I want to see/hear is a loud bang or sound of something dropping from the engine bay that shouldnt have.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
The cobalt is in the sport compact market. Where as the G6 is in the mid sized family car market. Thats why they made the GTP and GXP trim lines, so these cars can be powerful and fun. The 4 Banger G6 was made strictly to appeal to those who want a bigger family car that's good on gas. Which is BS because the base 6cyl gets better MPG. The G6 is too heavy for a 4cyl.

You can probably loose some gauges with the SC because it isn't oil lubricated or cooled by the coolant. It has its own intercooler setup. I'm sure all you would need then is a boost gauge. You can run most of the gauge setups through a smart phone, that's what I do.

I understand your concern with the tune, but you have to understand that its all GM. although chris can probably tune for it, its probably not worth while. So few people are boosting G6s that I don't image it to be profitable for him.

If you look on the ZZP website and price out the kit. There is an option where you select which vehicle HHR, Cobalt, G6 etc. Along with the year as well.

I wouldn't be worried. Tuning for one boosted 2.4 is the same as tuning for another, regardless of vehicle. So long as the vin is correct you shouldn't have problems. ZZP even sells a built trans for the 4 speed auto.
The only differences in tuning I can think of environmental or tuning for someones specific style or taste or goals.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Idk if I want to get the WAMS tune now and save up the money later for the supercharger set up or just spend that money on the internals for the supercharger set up to have the additional power from performance parts then do the supercharge with a tune later.

Because that tune is effing expensive >.<

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Understandable, I decided to go with the tune for now because I probably can't get around to building my motor for a while. Unless my tax return is awesome! But if that was the case I may go with wheels or something, not sure. ha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts