Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been without my car for 2 weeks. I have had the throttle body cleaned and the APP sensor changed. The car still says "Engine power reduced" Should I have the throttle body replaced? Has anyone else dealt with this issue? Have any suggestions?

·
Painter
30 Posts
Do you have any mods done to your 6???

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am having the same exact issue with my 06 G6. Any suggestions would be great! It has already cost me a fortune trying to get it resolved.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Please keep me posted on this issue and let me know if there are any questions that I can answer or anything I can do to provide assistance. Private message is the fastest way to contact me. I am here to assist you with your vehicle questions and issues.

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I am having the same exact issue with my 06 G6. Any suggestions would be great! It has already cost me a fortune trying to get it resolved.
The "Engine PWR Reduced" message is only produced by the throttle actuator control (TAC) system. It usually results from a sensor issue inside the throttle body assy, though a problem with the accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor can also evoke the message (as its also part of TAC). If you got that message, a code was popped & the CEL would have lit, at least for awhile. When the sensors start to fail, they often do so intermittently so the message & code may appear intermittently. When the message appears, pull over & restart the engine. That will usually clear the problem for awhile & restore full engine functionality. Its not a problem you want to put on the back burner for long as losing full engine power in traffic is, needless to say, dangerous. If you give me a code #, I'll give more details where the problem lies exactly. I'd say over 90% of the time, this is resolved by replacing the throttle body assy.

The traction control system light comes on & TC is disabled for a very long list of reasons so its generally not a helpful clue in diagnosis.

I suspect the shop replaced the APP sensor which obviously was just a bad guess rather than a diagnosis based on evidence.

Any autozone store will read your codes free. Or buy a code reader on amazon for about $20 & read your own while saving your gas.

Dealer diagnosis will run about $100 & wont tell you any more than I just did.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks a lot guys! I appreciate that very much! I am not very mechanically inclined but can and change oil and replaced a few starters and alternators and that's about it. Easy job for me to do or take it in somewhere?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I suspect the shop replaced the APP sensor which obviously was just a bad guess rather than a diagnosis based on evidence.

That is exactly what it was. A bad guess. He said he did not see any codes and in the 2 miles he drove it, the problem did not occur. He stated the APP sensor was "a little dirty" and he "assumed" that was the issue. Thought about taking it back to him but I'm not sure I want him working on it anymore. Just best to cut your losses sometimes I suppose.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Easy job for me to do or take it in somewhere?
there's a throttle body how-to in the Chiltons for G6 book. It's not particularly hard to replace. I cannot guarantee that will solve it since I've done no testing on your car. But chances are good that it will.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts

That is exactly what it was. A bad guess. He said he did not see any codes and in the 2 miles he drove it, the problem did not occur. He stated the APP sensor was "a little dirty" and he "assumed" that was the issue. Thought about taking it back to him but I'm not sure I want him working on it anymore. Just best to cut your losses sometimes I suppose.
returning it to someone who throws parts at problems is not something I'd do but it's your call.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought some throttle cleaner today and hope that solves it. If not then I will replace it. I know you cant guarantee that will fix it, but at least you have pointed me in A direction where as before I was completely clueless. I do appreciate that!

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
I've had this problem and it always seemed to coincide with battery problems. Have the battery tested and replaced if necessary.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Was there any resolve to this issue? What was done to remedy? I've already spent too much $$$ and it still has not cured my G6 GT functioning.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts