Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 2009 with the 2.4L. I did some searching and couldn't find if anyone else has had this problem. If it is really humid or raining, the engine will get a misfire. Happens under heavy load, light load, idling, in park, doesn't seem to matter really. Feels like I lose a cylinder or two. Idle can be very rough and it almost stalls. It is pretty sporadic though. The strange thing is it does not set off any engine codes. I have had my scanner plugged in while it is doing it and it doesn't show any pending codes. Unfortunately I don't have a scanner that can monitor misfires. I hate to start replacing parts without having a code to verify the problem...but it is pretty significant issue as sometimes you can't even accelerate. Car has 135K miles. Replaced spark plugs at 100K. Cleaned throttle body around that time also. New air filter. Im leaning towards throwing some new ignition coils on it...but just wanted to see if anyone else had advice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Finally got a check engine light yesterday. Misfire on cylinder 1. Went to pull the coil out to swap it with another one to see if the code moved and it came out in two pieces. Hopefully this was the issue. Should know after tomorrow when I get my new coils.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I swapped the coils out on saturday. Went for a drive in the rain, and there was no evident stuttering. Check engine light did come back on though for the knock sensor. I replaced the sensor a year or so ago when it was occasionally throw a code. I cleared the code this time and it has not come back in the two days I have been driving it around. Still no engine stutter either. I dare say the problem is fixed. Not sure why that knock sensor had an issue, but it hasn't triggered a code again yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spoke too soon. Problem is back. Same thing...in the rain get a misfire on cylinder 1. I will be inspecting the wires a little more closely this time I guess. Not sure what else I can check. I guess I will also swap the spark plugs, but I find it hard to believe that would be effected by moisture. Welcome any other ideas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Spoke too soon. Problem is back. Same thing...in the rain get a misfire on cylinder 1. I will be inspecting the wires a little more closely this time I guess. Not sure what else I can check. I guess I will also swap the spark plugs, but I find it hard to believe that would be effected by moisture. Welcome any other ideas.
I have an 09 doing the same thing. Did you figure this out?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts