Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 pontiac g6 gt 2 door with the 3.5L v6 and a 4 speed automatic. Does anyone know if it is possible to put the 3.6L and 6 speed manual from a gtp/gxp and how difficult it would. I'm sure you're going to say it would be easier just to buy a gxp but everything on my current car is almost brand new and I have a lot of good memories in it so I would prefer to keep the one I currently have

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 2006 pontiac g6 gt 2 door with the 3.5L v6 and a 4 speed automatic. Does anyone know if it is possible to put the 3.6L and 6 speed manual from a gtp/gxp and how difficult it would. I'm sure you're going to say it would be easier just to buy a gxp but everything on my current car is almost brand new and I have a lot of good memories in it so I would prefer to keep the one I currently have
The 3.6 was not available with the 6 speed manual. The only real way to find that trans (an F40) with the correct bolt pattern for the 3.6, is to find one that came in a Saab 9-3, with the 2.8 turbo.
The only G6 engine that had the F40 was the 3900 (and maybe the 4 cylinder, but we won't go there.)
The 3900 is similar to the early 3.5 V6. It is nearly identical to the later 3.5 (LZ4/LZE).
So... if you want the F40 six speed manual, find a 3900 (LZ9.) Oh... that F40 will also bolt to your older 3.5.

Me? I have a 2010 G6 GT with the LZE 3.5. I dearly wish it had a manual trans. If I ever do that swap (admittedly way down the list of prioroties), it will likely be a 5 speed New Venture/Getrag from a 94 Cavalier, since I am quite familiar with that trans. (Have one bolted to a 4.9 Caddy V8 in a Fiero. Damn near bulletproof. At least so far.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the 3.9 that came in the early gtp will fit in my car along with the f40 six speed? I'm just worried about motor mounts and exhaust and such. I have the ability to put the engine and transmission in myself, I just dont want to buy them, yank mine out, and then realize I'm screwed because they dont match up

·
Registered
60 Posts
They should fit, since the platform is the same. I'm sure someone else has tried similar, and knows for sure.
You might have to buy new mounts and brackets - and at least part of the exhaust system - or grab the ones from your donor car.
MY big concern would be the PCM. You would have to use the PCM from the donor. I'm not sure how it would interface to the other computers in the car. For sure, the VIN won't match. Might have to get someone with Tunercat or TunerPro to change it.
Also... the flywheel that is used for the F40 is made of unobtainium. No longer available new. If it needs replaced, you'll have to go used (which they don't recommend) or aftermarket, which is spendy as hell. (I think Spec makes a flywheel for the 3.9/F40 combo, but I could be wrong.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay. I'll look into it. I'm not in a huge hurry to make my g6 any faster but the manual would be nice to get done soon. I just figured I might as well do them both at the same time. Thank you very much for you help. Is there anything else i need to know before attempting the 3.9 and f40 swap?

·
Registered
60 Posts
When you're doing a swap, it's always easier to buy the complete donor car. There are bunches of little bits and pieces that go into an installation. If you have the donor right there, you don't have to go out and source all those pieces individually. It'll "nickel and dime you to death". (If the engine cradle/subframe of the donor is good, I might be inclined to swap the whole subframe in. Keep the best suspension parts - struts, etc - from both cars.) Try to find (or borrow - they're expensive) a set of factory shop manuals for both cars. You want to make sure the wiring and connectors are compatible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Get the PCM, BCM, Dash and ignition with the key and the wiring for the swap. Like our friend mentioned get a donor car. I get mine from salvage sales dirt cheap. I am doing this swap in the summer vroooom vroooooooooooom!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts