Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the G6, and I like MY G6. I'm never going to trade it in for another car, and I plan on keeping this one for a long long while, specially since Pontiac is going away. So after that's said, I'm wanting to upgrade the engine in it, I see some nice 350 block proformance engines GM makes that I like a lot. As well as getting a better transmission. Something that is Manual 6-speed that can handle 450-500 HP. Because that is the goal. It's a high goal but still a goal none the less.

So first questions. I have no real personal experience with engines. I basically know alot vehichles besides the powertrain. So, can a 350 block even fit in my G6? It's a 2005 G6 with a 3.5L V6 in right now.

Also, where can I find a Manual Transmission that can handle that amount of power, cause I doubt that the one in already can handle that size engine and power....

I'm tired of only having 230 HP, It's time for some major upgrades.....Cost of everything would be nice as well. The engine I like is about 4k, the transmission im guessing will be around 2-4k. IDK how much it will cost to have all this work done, or what other things will needed to be done to make everything work such as wiring and the electronics. Any help would be nice before I jump into this project. I'd be willing to save some doe for this so money isn't really a factor, just might take me a year to get the amount I need if its over 15k total, which I just randomly threw that number out their cause I know it wont be more than at least 10-11k for everything I'm wanting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm sorry I ment 350-400 HP not 450-500. That includes air intake, a turbo, exhaust, performance chip, etc... But I already know about that. I'm more interested in if I should get a high performance v6 or if a 350 v8 can fit in the car....

·
Young Punk
76 Posts
It'd have to be a pretty small V8. I'd just save yourself the hassle and get the performance V6.
That being said... I know the GXP.R is a V8, RWD, manual transmission.. I think it was an LS2 they put in? I could be wrong, but they had it in the neighbourhood of 500 horse.. Or so the press say. but that's based off the coupe, not the sedan.. not sure how similar the frames are, or how much work went into it... but I've thought about it from time to time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did a little more research and I'm most likely just going to upgrade my transmission along with adding a performance shifter kit. As for the engine, I've heard alot about just upgrading the engine as well, but I'm not to sure about that. I will most likely get a Performance V6.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm not sure how much you want to dig into it, but swapping engines isn't exactly easy. Especially if you don't have a lot of experience yourself.

The best way to get more power out of the G6 is (I hate to say it) probably to get a remote turbo. They wouldn't be too hard to fab up, and would get you close to your HP goals. They aren't the best setup, but they do work.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Its not just the engine thats complicated to change, what about the electronics that run your engine. I was gonna put a 3.8 supercharged in my sunfire when i had it untill i realized its not just the motor but everything the replacement motor need has to be changed with it............. HELL NO i wasnt putting that kind of work into it cause its just to expensive and complex. Cars today are run by computers designed for the car their in so its a pile of work to switch it all and then make it all function properly. I guess we take it for granted when we stuff the key in the hole and with a twist it fires right up all the while not realizing whats really going on under all that metal.

·
Young Punk
76 Posts
I've thought about the remote turbo set-up too. The engine swap would, indeed, be a bitch. (Sorry for the language).
You'd probably have to do some cutting and welding work all over the place, just to get the powertrain in, nevermind the tech end, with the reprogramming and such.
Lord knows with that amount of power you'd want to convert it to rear-wheel. if you kept it front, you'd be replacing parts left right and center. which means.. ughh.. I think my brain just quit on me. "No, Patrick, I refuse to try to plan THAT out right now!"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.