Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had it with the quality of the stock speakers in my 2009 G6 Sedan, and after some thorough testing I'm sure the head unit is not to blame for the poor sound quality, it's the speakers.

I'm looking at going cheap, but hoping to get a huge improvement in quality.

Right now I am looking at:

Front - http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KFCP708/Kenwood-KFC-P708.html
Rear - http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSA6963/Pioneer-TS-A6963R.html

One question that popped into my head, is using better speakers with the same head unit, will I have enough power? I don't know what the output is of the stock head unit, but would it be enough to power those speakers?

Is there some numbers I should be crunching while I shop, to know if they are too much?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
unless you are going to add an amp with the new HU dont bother replacing it. Aftermarket HU do not put out very much power without an amp. My Alpine IVA-W505 only puts out 18WRMS per channel. The only way you are going to get more power is by adding an amplifier to the equation

·
Registered
19 Posts
Better sound

There are a few things that factor in to a great sounding audio system. The easiest upgrade is to simple replace the stock speakers with a set of high quality aftermarket ones - this should result in slightly better quality and more durability but wont increase the sound level all too much unless an aftermarket amplifier is installed. The stock head units these day are just as powerful (if not more) than the aftermarket head units available which is why regardless of the head unit, an aftermarket amplifier is the best thing to do in order to increase your sound and quality of music. Really what im trying to say is... short of a simple speaker upgrade... either leave your speakers and head unit alone or do it right and install a new head unit and a better amplifier and new speakers for superior sound

1 - 4 of 4 Posts