Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 08 G6 shows error on speedo. The key does nothing. I do see the security lock flash up locked when I first turn key on. The battery is good the car will start by engaging #31 start relay will only run for 10 seconds and turn off. I think it is a security issue as I was pulling fuses checking for a ground that would drain my battery over about 3 or 4 days. Anyway this problem started after I reinsert Ed the fuses. Has been sitting a year and will still crank right up with relay. No one seems to have a clue to fix it. Approached several dealerships and since Pontiac is no longer in business they didn't want to work on it. Please Help I need the car for my daughter to get back and forth to work. She has no car and I can't buy one for her. Thanks in advance. I know one of you serious mechanics can help me solve this very long problem.

·
Registered
182 Posts
no promises ( bad memory on my part) but disconnect the battery then try resetting your ECM by pulling the fuse that goes to it For 20 - 30 minutes.

·
Registered
380 Posts
IF you give Convertme's ECU reset a try and things are still not working I would suggest looking into the security system as you mention. First I would double check you are using a key with the transponder built in, there is usually a + within a circle on the top of the metal part of the key. If you have another set of keys I would give them a try. IF you have a transponder key and it is not working, try one of the key relearn techniques. I have not had to do it but I see some instructions https://www.g6ownersclub.com/threads/2009-g6-gt-wont-start-think-its-a-security-problem.16866/#post-137506 and similar but slightly different https://www.programautokeys.com/classified/2007-pontiac-g6-chip-key-transponder-programming-instructions-listing-8549.aspx#.XePQzuhKjYc

Another option is to find someone with a tech II or higher end OBDII diagnostic that can run both the key and the security module relearn. Good luck getting it going.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well any luck.. we all learn from sharing results, good or bad ? We are all hoping that you have good new to share with all of us.?

thank you
convertme

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No sir not yet. Tried the reboot on the computer and no such luck. I have a spare so I installed it same results. I do think it maybe something in the security because it does light up and looks locked when u first turn the key on before the error comes up on the speedo. The car will start perfectly at the start relay 31 in the underhood fuse box. Only runs 10seconds. But I think that takes out all connection theories. I am still really struggling and have a bunch of frustration because I know it's something simple somewhere. This 3500 V6 is a Warrior engine.. No need for this safety of some sort to have it ocked out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going to try part 2 of the key programming technique boosted listed. I have a 1 starting my Vin so I should be able to eliminate this tomorrow. Thanks guys for checking on me and trying to help.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Would the spare you mention be a spare ECU? If so I believe they need to be coded to your VIN for the rest of the security subsystems to work. Good luck getting it going

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks I didn't know that. I live in a very rural area and nobody wants to fool with this car. Plus I have to have it towed. And honestly the dealership rates would be more than the car is worth in a quick minute. You hate to throw something away you can start with a relay and runs perfectly. But about to that point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts