Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry to ask this question but when I go to the online sites I dont see the solenoid being sold seprate from the canister.
does anyone know the part # for the solenoid

thanks

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I assume you have a 449 code. Just occasionally, that can be a harness or connector issue rather than the valve itself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last week I ohm'd the circuit out and it was open so I unplugged the solenoid added a resistor across the terminals and seen resistance. I left the resister in the circuit to fool the computer into thinking the solenoid was drawing current but then 5 miles down the road it pulled a different code and I think that was the one for the purge solenoid, I forget the number but it was different so I wasn't able to out smart the computer without jumpering out something else.

Just was tring to avoid dropping the tank, I work at the steel mill and this is my work car so it's kind of dirty.

Thanks for all your help you are a true asset to the site.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Last week I ohm'd the circuit out and it was open so I unplugged the solenoid added a resistor across the terminals and seen resistance. I left the resister in the circuit to fool the computer into thinking the solenoid was drawing current but then 5 miles down the road it pulled a different code and I think that was the one for the purge solenoid, I forget the number but it was different so I wasn't able to out smart the computer without jumpering out something else.
It's virtually impossible to fool the computers/control modules anymore. On most systems there is redundant testing.

There is a evap system performance test that failed when you tried that experiment since the vent valve was no longer in the circuit & not under computer control.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi. I had the Check gas cap light, and I replaced the cap. I got Code PO496 now, and I believe it's the evap canister solenoid valve. Is it really on top of the gas tank? Do I have to lower the tank at all to access it? Or can I get to it an easier way? Did anyone happen to do this already and have a different thread posted with any pictures? I appreciate any help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone have instructions for loosening the gas tank to lower it enough to get access to the evap con. purge solenoid valve? I have heard people say that the right side of the tank can be lowered. What needs to be reomoved or loosened? The dealer quoted me 2 hours and won't use the part that I already bought. Please help.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Hi. I had the Check gas cap light, and I replaced the cap. I got Code PO496 now, and I believe it's the evap canister solenoid valve. Is it really on top of the gas tank? Do I have to lower the tank at all to access it? Or can I get to it an easier way? Did anyone happen to do this already and have a different thread posted with any pictures? I appreciate any help.
A 496 is more often than not caused by a failing evap purge valve which is far easier to replace (hangs off the engine). But there's no guarantee of that without proper troubleshooting. A how-to is in the Chiltons.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts